Pre attaching DSMB to Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What bag do you use 1:10 times? How do you get the 7' bag to stand up from depth without being hauled to the surface? Slowly release air from your wing before putting more air in?

What brand do you prefer and why?
----------
New question:

What length spool do you find most useful for this task? I figure I shouldn't be sending one up deeper than 100'. At the same time, do I need one that has that much line on it or would waiting to shoot from 60' be better?

Jeremy, as Peter rightly read between the lines, about once out of ten time I'll use the big SMB.

Here's the process to shoot the big bag without really moving from the stop:

Hint: it takes an open bottom bag/SMB...:D

1. Assemble & prep bag
  2. Adjust buoyancy to be neutral with a full lungful
  3. Line on spool tight to bottom of bag, spool & bag in left hand
  4. Exhale a little bit
  5. As soon as you start sinking, long hose w/ right hand to quickly purge air into bag
  6. Exhale completely as you do so
  7. After about 2-3 seconds (no longer)...
  8. Extend left arm clear of self and teammates
  9. Deploy bag by loosening fingers holding bag
  10. Readjust buoyancy back to "normal"
  11. With very little practice, +- 1' from stop

Bag will always surface full from 70', with good technique 3/4 full from 20'.

The kicker is that you have to hold and deploy all from the left hand, not as we're used to with inflate / stretch between both hands and clear / deploy. It's not that hard. I hold the spool as if I'm letting line run, with the thumb & forefinger in the center hole; wind the spool tight right up to the bottom of the bag; use the remaining 3 fingers to clench the bottom of the bag against the spool.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James

I knew that you were speaking of the long bag, I was more interested brand.

Thank you for the helpful hints on tall bag deployment.

Sorry about misunderstanding what you wanted Jeremy, my bad.

My 7' tall SMB is an OMS. It is getting long in the tooth and is well and truly faded. I'll be replacing it with an XS Scuba SMB, which has a loop at the top and a big loop at the bottom (both very nice things to have in an emergency). It's so nicely made that when I picked it up at first, I thought it had been made by Carter.

All the best, James

I carry a pre-rigged 6# bag with a 50 ft spool, but never use it. It is a back-up.

I have a 40 or 50# pre-rigged to a Manta reel. The Halcyon bags are between my plate (fan/accordion style) and my back. The reel is clipped off to a ring on my plate at my right hip. Very clean. One pull and it is ready to deploy.

We shoot them every dive.

I don't pre-rig mine with a larks head loop; just simply clip the spool's double ender to the DSMB's ring, unlock the other end from the spool & make sure it's clipped to the spool-line's "service loop", then inflate & deploy (I have a spare double ender for use to lock the spool-line). That way you retain the utility of the spool during most of the dive by keeping it free, untied & unclipped, until you need it for the DSMB at the end of the dive.

I use the DSS marker buoy; packs small nice & tight, stands straight up, and boat drivers report that they're easy to see.

To orally inflate in cold water, bite down on the tube with your molars and form a seal with your mouth & lips and blow (Joe Talavera recommended that method a few years ago --it works!): otherwise there's no way your lips alone can provide the pressure seal and tensioning support on the inflation tube. . .

Last edited:
I would also recommend dumping some gas BC into the bag via your inflator hose prior to your second stage. At least to get the bag standing up without changing your buoyancy.
"I always wish I could grow another hand."

Jeremy, as Peter rightly read between the lines, about once out of ten time I'll use the big SMB.

Here's the process to shoot the big bag without really moving from the stop:

Hint: it takes an open bottom bag/SMB...:D

1. Assemble & prep bag
  2. Adjust buoyancy to be neutral with a full lungful
  3. Line on spool tight to bottom of bag, spool & bag in left hand
  4. Exhale a little bit
  5. As soon as you start sinking, long hose w/ right hand to quickly purge air into bag
  6. Exhale completely as you do so
  7. After about 2-3 seconds (no longer)...
  8. Extend left arm clear of self and teammates
  9. Deploy bag by loosening fingers holding bag
  10. Readjust buoyancy back to "normal"
  11. With very little practice, +- 1' from stop

Bag will always surface full from 70', with good technique 3/4 full from 20'.

The kicker is that you have to hold and deploy all from the left hand, not as we're used to with inflate / stretch between both hands and clear / deploy. It's not that hard. I hold the spool as if I'm letting line run, with the thumb & forefinger in the center hole; wind the spool tight right up to the bottom of the bag; use the remaining 3 fingers to clench the bottom of the bag against the spool.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom