Pre-sale question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering getting the XTX40 or 50. The XTX40 is very compelling right now because of the free matching octo offer. I saw that there's an option for the swivel mount for the second stage. Is this something offered by dealers? If so, about how much extra is it? And is the comfobite offered in the smaller size, I guess the one typically on the women's regulators?

Thanks.

-Ken

I'd I were you, is purchase any swivel from a third party. Typically cheaper. Typically as good or better. 90 degree adapters also have a lot of fans beyond ball swivels (my favorites) due to less moving parts.

No problem. I know it's not much, but I have little experience with those exact regs.

A few more generalities that might help, however:

You want your octo to be as good as your primary. That's not something to cheap out on.

Hog regs are at least worth your consideration due to price and availability of parts and training to repair your reg without having to be employed at a dive shop.

The setting knobs do work on regs, despite rental regs often having brokrn knobs. A "predive" setting is super useful on an octo to prevent free flowing without degrading performance permanently.

Thanks. I'd be moving from a Cressi Ellipse Titanium that I've been using for about five years. I have looked into the HOG. I do tropical diving and aquarium volunteering, where the water in the winter can get really cold, so I'd need something that can deal with cold water. And when on vacation I'd want something that can be be easily-serviced. In Curacao I was screwed when my Cressi needed some service and no one could do it, so I had to rent a reg for the rest of the trip. I really don't want to get into self-repair for my life support system, I don't think. Plus, all tanks I've dived so far have been for yoke attachments.

I'd definitely be getting a matching octo. There's a deal right now where you get a free matching octo for the XTX40. I don't think the same deal goes for the XTX50.

xtx50 has the adjustment knobs which is nice. Not sure what deal they are cutting you wrt the octo though, but the older hog regs are worth looking at. Older as in non-zenith, but still being manufactured. Parts kits are easy to find, you can service them yourself. Keep a set of parts kits in your save a dive if you don't service them, and any shop should be able to service htem no problem.
Cave Adventurers - HOG Single Tank Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Apeks ATX series are also worth looking into, same 1st stages, basically same second stages, just without the option to reverse them, only really useful in sidemount anyway, and the swappable exhaust T's.

Thanks. It seems that offer for the free matching octo is from last year, but Google still had it up.

I didn't realize this was the Apeks Mfg forum. I was on my phone and was in the "Unread Posts" area. I apologize for mentioning other brands. OP, I'm sending you a PM.

You will be fine with a XTX 40. if you wish it can be upgraded to a XTX 50 later by adding an adjustment screw.

that is true, but depending on what the octo offer is, he would be better off buying a matched pair of XTX50's instead.

DiveRightinScuba has some pretty good deals on the ATX series, so if the super wide user changeable exhaust T's and the ability to reverse aren't high priority for you, you can easily save $300 buy buying the ATX series. Like I said above, the 1st stages are identical, and the guts are all but identical, so you're just missing out on some cosmetic details

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom