Prefer shore boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropitan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks, I've notched about 40 dives, just completed AOW. About a third have been from a boat, the balance from shore.
I'm curious what others think about the pros and cons of each kind of recreational diving.
There are a couple of things I don't like about chartered boat dives in my area. First, I seek a measure of solitude on my dives, and many of the boats have 6-16 bodies on them. Also, the dive boats go to the same spots, day in and day out. This puts pressure on the environments in those spots, and many of them are far from prestine. Finally, all of these boat dives are a bit 'canned', and expect you to go along with their program or tour.
When I shore dive, the only divers present usually are myself and my buddy. It is much more relaxing and uncrowded. We can plan and execute the dive WE want. Finally, when I decide to go dive from a shore spot, there is a slow, thoughtful progression; a continuity, if you will, from the land into the water. I value this gradual immersion into the ocean; it gives me time to relax, to prepare, to appreciate the journey I'm about to embark on, if only for an hour or so. What do you think?

I have had great and terrible dives with each. I guess if I had to pick it would be shore diving for no other reason then it is more comfortable to kit up.

oh, and cheaper :D

Shore dives are ugly! Always!

Of my first 100+ dives, only 5 or 6 were shore dives. For all practical purposes, all of my early dives were from a boat of one kind or another. Lately it has been beach dives. Did I mention that they are ugly?

I'm not sure I will appreciate the charter boats at Monterey (I haven't been on one yet) for the reasons you mention but I do know I hate the beach entries. The proper solution is to buy a Boston Whaler and dive off of that. It won't be long... I just have to figure out how big it needs to be for 4 divers (2 tanks each) plus a non-diving passenger.

Richard

Hi tropitan.

Most of my diving is local shore diving, for mostly the same reasons you outlined. Also, there is far less expense involved and time invested in shore diving for me: just load the gear in my truck, drive 10 minutes, and I'm there. Another reason is I can shore dive "spur of the moment", but not so with a boat dive.

Having said all of the above, some of my most memorable dives have been boat dives :D With a boat, you can get to places that are not easily reached (or impossible to reach) from shore. It is also nice to just "fall" off the boat and be at the dropoff, rather than the sometimes longish swim out through the shallows from shore. But I need to qualify that I've only done a total of 6 "charter" boat dives (in Kona), the rest of my boat dives here in Hawaii and other places have been off private boats, so I've only had a few "cattle boat" experiences.

You and I are lucky in that a lot of great shore dives are available here.

I do about two-thirds of my dives as shore dives. I like both and am pretty much equally happy with either. I do more shore dives because I will dive in any weather and there is always a spot that is ok to shore dive when the weather is bad, but boats cannot go out in all types of weather. Also shore dives allow me to dive at my own pace as well as the fact I do midweek night dives when there are no boats running. Usually I try to do a boat dive, followed by a shore dive or two on the weekends.

I find shore dives great for macro photography and as they tend to be shallower I can spent a long time diving. Boat dives enable me to dive wrecks and walls, and generally the landscape is more interesting though so they are fun as well!

Shore Dives
1) Ease of entry
2) Low cost
3) Good group of people and in most cases you know the people on the dive

Shore dives!

My schedule
Lower $$ risk
Lower $$
More willing and able buddies
Easy entries
Unlimited save-a dive and optional gear at hand potential.
Over all easier. It's not valet boat diving around here!
I have lots nice local shore dive sites.

Pete

Most of my dives have been, and will continue to be, shore dives. This is for a couple reasons....one is that it's practically free (just costs enough to get my tanks filled and drive to the site), another is that I have lots of friends/buddies who also do mainly shore diving, another is that I get to do my own thing on my own time schedule, and finally, shore diving requires a bit more work (schlepping gear, fighting through surf entry/exit, surface swim, etc), so it makes boat diving a very simple, relaxing, and fun experience when I do decide to splurge.

I'm going to Kona in June 2009 and have decided that we'll be making mainly shore dives from there as well. We may do a boat dive or two, but the majority of our dives will be shore dives....convenient, cheap, fun.

The vast majority of my dives are shore dives, for the same reasons as stated by others above. I love the fact that, at many sites, one can keep one's own schedule, and I've had to appreciate having a full save-a-dive kit available on too many occasions.

But boats don't have sand. And boats get me to places I can't get from shore.

Most of my dives are shore dives and I havent had a "ugly" shore dive yet..
Theire generally cheaper and they also remove the entire "everyone follow the same plan" aspect. You plan and execute the dive on YOUR premises, not a DM/guides "done it 1000 times" plan or "computer rider" plan.
Shore dives are nice for keeping your own dive planning skills alive, especially when its fresh knowledge that need to be refreshed to avoid forgetting it..

I love going to some faraway place and do a nice boat dive as well though. Its not like I MIND tropical reefs from a dive charter far, far, far away from home..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom