Preferred mix in a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This seems as good a thread as any for this question / poll. What mix do most prefer for a pony bottle? That is assuming that the user is Nitrox certified. Since the pony is typically a "bail Out" bottle to be used in an emergency situation, do you want a 32 or 36 mix to lessen the nitrogen? Or, since it is just for a few breaths to get to the surface, do you just go with good ol compressed air?

Air -- pony means the dive's over, I don't sweat nitrogen buildup in that phase. It also makes it a lot simpler for fairly frequent topoffs (practice).

Yup.

Really, if you are bringing it as redundancy, and in case you end up having a problem, you need to be able to breath it at your max depth, if not deeper.

And it may be more than a few breaths. After all, given that you are planning for worst case, if you're on a dive where you'd rather be able to make a safety stop, it's nice to do that in comfort. In some circumstances it would also be much preferable to make the upline.

I better stop now :)

Always air in a pony. Anything else and I'm using it as a stage or a deco bottle.

FD

If I'm intending to use it for reducing my nitrogen load, I'll put 40% or 50% in it for my safety stops. But that is planned, if it's being used for redundant backup, air is fine by me.

Oh, my -- actually several constructive comments without a random bash against ponies. :)

Jimmer:
If I'm intending to use it for reducing my nitrogen load, I'll put 40% or 50% in it for my safety stops. But that is planned, if it's being used for redundant backup, air is fine by me.

How do you get a 50% fill with an AOW card? (assuming your profile is up to date)

Nitrox in my buddy bottle,regardless of my back tank.

There was this same thread a few weeks ago but it may have gone into the black hole of netherland with the crash.

N

I've been going through the Advanced Nitrox book for a while, just haven't written the exam and got the card yet. Instructor doesn't have any problem with me using 50% since I'm in the middle of the course, but I don't use O2 or anything like that since I'm not doing deco, I just use it to help "clean up" a little on the safety stops, and to get used to gas switching for when I take my deco procedures course.

ianr33:
How do you get a 50% fill with an AOW card? (assuming your profile is up to date)

Jimmer:

How much difference does that make to your nitrogen loading?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom