Preferred mix in a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plain old air. I only use nitrox in stage bottles and back gas.

It's handy having at least one tank with air in it to calibrate my O2 analyzer.

I have a somewhat related question, I have an Oceanic VT3 dive computer that can switch between 3 gasses. Though it does not allow me to designate a lower FO2 than what GAS 1 was. So if I had 32% O2 in my primary tank, it won't allow me to designate 21% 02 in my pony as GAS 2, it would have to be 32% or more.

Anyone know what the reasoning behind this would be?

Dan Watkins:
I have a somewhat related question, I have an Oceanic VT3 dive computer that can switch between 3 gasses. Though it does not allow me to designate a lower FO2 than what GAS 1 was. So if I had 32% O2 in my primary tank, it won't allow me to designate 21% 02 in my pony as GAS 2, it would have to be 32% or more.

Anyone know what the reasoning behind this would be?

could just be that gas 1, gas 2, and gas 3 are supposed to be set from leanest to richest. check your manual can 2 be richer than 3?

GAS 1 can be set from 21% to 50% FO2
GAS 2 and 3 can be set from 21% to 100%, but the instructions state:

"The VT3 is programmed to prevent FO2 for GAS 2 and 3 from being set at values lower than the FO2 Set Point for GAS 1. GAS 2 and 3 can only be set to values equal to or higher than the FO2 Set Points for GAS 1 and 2, respectively."

So if I set my GAS 1 to 32%, GAS 2 and 3 cannot be set lower than 32%. If I set GAS 2 to say 36%, GAS 3 cannot be lower than 36%.

I just wondered what the reasoning behind this restriction is... Is there generally some concern to switching to a gas with a lower FO2 than the primary tank?

I imagine I could designate GAS 2 as my primary tank, but GAS 1 is set to be the primary default, and I cannot actually switch to GAS 2 until I am under water.

I just love it when manufacturers try to tell me how to dive :D

Sure,it would be normal to switch to higher,rather than lower ppO2's during deco,but having a computer that wont let you do it the other way ? Thats NUTS.

First, my opinion on the pony for Rec dives is max FO2 of 32%. Thats 1.6PO2 at 130. Anything lower is fine. I wouldn't sweat these details. The use of the pony is to get you ascending to a safety stop, not to extend the dive.

Now, use the pony like a stage - then it ought to be the same as backgas or a suitable bottom gas. Depends on how much work you want to do deco status wise. I prefer simpler in most cases which means same mix as backgas. (and my 'pony' when used like this is either a 63 or 80)

As for computers - VT3. The gas restrictions are the stupidist things I have heard. I own a VR3 and I like the ability to change my gases whenever to whatever I want, even under water or to horrific PO2's. I expect it to keep giving me its model information for whatever gas I select, even if I violate it's best profile. (Its a complicated procedure to update gases so its unlikely to be accidently done).

I always dive my backgas mix in my bailout. To me, it just makes sense. Granted you're only using it to get to the surface, but think about the what if's. I always consider very worst case scenario when planning dives. Having the same gas could eliminate confusion in an otherwise stressful situation.

Air and only air in a pony. The problem with MOST divers who use a pony is that they end up factoring this in their bottom time calculations. These are the people who seem to like having a NitrOx mix in their pony. If it is only for an emergency, then air is always your safest bet.

Back
Top Bottom