Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A false answer indicating that a (nonexistent buddy) diver is unaccounted for, especially one which causes a public rescue response, could be construed like filing a false police report or fire alarm. You may drive off, but your license number may be recorded. There could be some really nasty legal ramifications if you get caught.

But that big grouper that was following me the whole dive was my buddy. He was just so friendly.

I was finishing a solo beach dive in NC when I was approached by a guy who was leading a group of divers for a guided beach dive on the wreck of the USS Huron (at $35 a person). I think he was ticked off that I wasn't paying him for exploring "his" wreck. I am a certified solo diver and was totally redundant. Had all the safety gear plus some. Surf conditions were glassy. He began to berate me in front of everybody and told me he worked 'Beach Rescue". He then told me that if he was working beach rescue that day he would "yank me".
Can you say, Yank This, Baywatch Boy!

james croft:
I was finishing a solo beach dive in NC when I was approached by a guy who was leading a group of divers for a guided beach dive on the wreck of the USS Huron (at $35 a person). I think he was ticked off that I wasn't paying him for exploring "his" wreck. I am a certified solo diver and was totally redundant. Had all the safety gear plus some. Surf conditions were glassy. He began to berate me in front of everybody and told me he worked 'Beach Rescue". He then told me that if he was working beach rescue that day he would "yank me".
Can you say, Yank This, Baywatch Boy!

This guy would have defintely ticked me off ... I just may have, oh yes, you guessed it, given him one of these :mooner: .

I remember gearing up an walking with just a bit of trepidation to the water one my very first solo dive. I wasn't nervous about the dive, but was absolutely sure that I would be addressed by others for my dangerous behaviour. I was shocked when I finished the dive without comment or "evil eye". I did talk to a few other divers, but they were only curious about the water condition.

So far, I have never been lectured by any other diver about my solo-ist ways. Most are usually curious about my pony, but that's it.

I think the comments about the "older" generation having problems with it is pretty close. I got a lecture from my own dad when he found out I was diving solo. After I explained all the back-ups and redundancies, he seemed a lot better about it. But in his words, "...when he grew up, NOBODY even went swimming by themselves. THAT was dangerous." So there does seem to be a mindset like this in some people.

FD

fire_diver:
... I think the comments about the "older" generation having problems with it is pretty close. I got a lecture from my own dad when he found out I was diving solo. After I explained all the back-ups and redundancies, he seemed a lot better about it. But in his words, "...when he grew up, NOBODY even went swimming by themselves. THAT was dangerous." So there does seem to be a mindset like this in some people.

FD

I think you'll find a lot of Sea Hunt era solo and tech divers and doubt there is that much generational bias. The bulk of divers being certified today are likely still being told that solo is dangerous and it will stay that way until there is sufficient demand to make it profitable. I'm sorry did I say profitable? I meant safe, kind of like NITROX.

"A false answer indicating that a (nonexistent buddy) diver is unaccounted for, especially one which causes a public rescue response, could be construed like filing a false police report or fire alarm. You may drive off, but your license number may be recorded. There could be some really nasty legal ramifications if you get caught."

It is a free country, such is the price of freedom. N

I have to admit that I was taught SOLO= DEATH. I come to find out that the ones that were teaching me that dive solo. I'm sure it's a liability thing. I have been considering doing some solo but haven't as yet. My buddy diving lately has been same day same ocean. I realize that my safety depends on me and I can't rely on a buddy like a crutch. (I'm not saying a buddy is a crutch. It just has been for me) If I have an issue then I need to resolve it. Solo = prepared now. If I could just muster up my sphereical objects to do it. (after proper preparation and redundancy of course)

I never encounter any, anywhere.

Even on this board, it seems like "oh? you want to do that?...if you know the risks, go ahead"

At first certain people would point out the risks, the things that could happen, but once they decided I was aware...they have never said another word. I give them credit for that. Because they tell you out of concern, but don't seem to use it as a reason to rant or grandstand.

In fact, things come up diving where some excellent divers will say "no, I won't do that because I am not a solo diver"..and leave it at that.

Divers seem less polarized of late, to me.

Back
Top Bottom