Prescription mask worth getting or not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh...I long for the days of whatshisname, the Long Island eye 'doc'. He woulda sorted out this inane mess in a blink. Some of the responses in this thread are truly that.

I never had contacts and actually got contacts for the purpose of diving... big mistake! ! I hate them I've tried them above water day to day tried for months to get use to them,I never did. So I would get a mask with scrip !! I still don't have one and use my contacts that I hate but I can't just throw them out till I at least use up the supply of them I have. Then I'll get a scrip mask. Fwiw I only got a six month supply And they have lasted for years due to only using them to dive. Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

So how many dives are you ruining in the name of what, a couple hundred dollars worth of lenses you don't want to "waste?" I really, really hope none of those are vacation dives, because that means you're probably spending thousands of dollars to dive, which is becoming a subpar experience for the sake of relative pennies per dive in lenses you could actually just throw away. Sounds like a lot of good diving going to waste, and that costs way more than a few disposable contacts.

So how many dives are you ruining in the name of what, a couple hundred dollars worth of lenses you don't want to "waste?" I really, really hope none of those are vacation dives, because that means you're probably spending thousands of dollars to dive, which is becoming a subpar experience for the sake of relative pennies per dive in lenses you could actually just throw away. Sounds like a lot of good diving going to waste, and that costs way more than a few disposable contacts.
I'm not ruining any dives. I do not vacation dive, I dive local in the thousand islands. Great viz here is 30 feet. Most often it's closer to 15 feet.

I hate contacts because they are not as comfortable as my glasses.. and no I'm not goin to throw them out because I'm not a wast full person.

I work hard for my salary and do not believe in throwing away money. When my contacts are gone I'll be due for a new mask and will get one with my script in it.

Waste not want not!

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I have astigmatism and pretty significant presbyopia. Currently I wear contacts for distance vision when diving with a regular mask. Due to the magnification of the water I can see my gauges well enough in clear water and good light. In lesser visability I struggle a little with that. Does anyone make lens that just have my reading prescription in the bottom of the lens? How well do those work? I tried the stick on readers and didn't like them at all.

Both Seavision and Prescription Dive Masks make a reader and bifocal masks. If your add Rx is not equal to 2.0, then you're stuck with PDM.

You could always buy a Mares or Cressi mask. Then get replacement manufacturer reader lenses.

I'm blind without my glasses, nearsighted. bought a prescription mask a few years ago, LOVE IT. One dive last year accidentally grabbed another diver's mask and couldn't understand why the vis suddenly sucked on that dive. He had the good grace to be amused at least and i bought him dinner and a sixpack for my screw up but reminded me what a huge difference it makes. I have used seavision masks with good success FWIW

I always just dove with my contacts in and a $20 mask from PiranhaDiveMfg.com. After getting my eyes fixed I stopped wearing the contacts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom