Prescription mask worth getting or not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saloooh91

Registered
Reaction score
Worth getting or not ?

I finished my OW course while wearingg a freediving Torelli mask. water was leeking inside the mask from the bubbles. I could see clearly however the bubbles were a problem. I know I was supposed to use a scuba diving mask not freediving. I wear glasses since I was 4 years old. Now I'm 24. So my question, is it worth getting a prescription mask ?

Worth getting or not ?

I finished my OW course while wearingg a freediving Torelli mask. water was leeking inside the mask from the bubbles. I could see clearly however the bubbles were a problem. I know I was supposed to use a scuba diving mask not freediving. I wear glasses since I was 4 years old. Now I'm 24. So my question, is it worth getting a prescription mask ?

I dove with a prescription mask when I started diving. A few months ago I just started diving with my contact lenses and a regular mask - no prescription. I much prefer diving with my lenses in. Never had any issues with them under water, ever. That would be what I would recommend. I always hated having to look for my glasses after a dive was done or walking from the water to my vehicle not being able to see much. Now I don't have that issue anymore. I always carry my glasses and a spare pair of contact lenses just in case I lose a lens. But I've never been happier.

If you wear glasses, why WOULDN'T you get a prescription diving mask? I mean, you do want to see the stuff that's underwater, right?

Not sure how you could see clearly with the freediving mask but by your comments about needing prescription glasses you would be able to see much more with prescription lenses. I use prescription lenses and have since I started diving. Well worth seeing what your there for. I do not use contacts as I can't stand them but YMMV. I have single lenses - no stuck on lens. A good LDS can help you. Lenses are not cheap but also not horribly expensive. I keep a pair of sunglasses on the boat for after diving.

Worth getting or not ?

I wear glasses since I was 4 years old. Now I'm 24. So my question, is it worth getting a prescription mask ?

Short answer..... Yes.

I've worn glasses for 55+ years. Diving without a prescription mask defeats the purpose of diving, to enjoy what I can see underwater.

I bought an expensive mask some years ago and purchased a cheap one of E-Bay (about $50) as a backup for a trip I was taking. After trying the cheap one on a couple of dives, I now use it exclusively.

Jim

Depends upon your Rx----what is it???...........

You don't mention how bad your vision is on land without glasses. Prior to lazer surgery I wore glasses forever, being nearsighted. For decades snorkeling I could see 20-20 with a normal mask on underwater-- the refraction, or whatever--no need for a prescription there. My topside sight was plenty good enough to see where I was going and not slip on seaweed, etc. I believe prescription masks are a bit costly and you definitely don't want to lose one. You'll have to be the judge.

I use contacts, works great. I use computers all day and can't stand contacts for that, but I wear them for sports (running, BJJ, diving). I highly suggest using daily contacts, you just use them once and throw them away. This means you always have a nice, soft pair. I suggest Johnson & Johnson AcuVue Trueeye, they are more comfortable (much softer, so nice!) than the brands I tried before them.

The secret to putting them in is to press together your index and thumb, with the contact sitting on top. This way when you put it in your eye you have two places to press down. This makes it stick to your eye so when your fingers come off the contact stays. I can't stand putting things in my eye, so I always look up and put contact on low. Next, before blinking the first time, press with your index finger to take out any air from under the contact. Finally, you can blink and you're done.

The secret to getting them out is to look straight, put your index finger on the contact, then look up and pull the contact down. This slides it off your pupil to the lower part of your eye (same part where you put them in). Next, let go and before you blink, pinch the contact with your thumb and index finger. It will come right off because that part of your eye isn't the right shape to hold it on.

Before I came up with the above techniques, I had a horrible, horrible time with contacts. I hope that helps, and spread the word! :)

I just invested in one and am kicking myself I did not do it 5 years ago.

Worth getting or not ?

You need to see to enjoy the dive, otherwise whats the point? For me the two most needed items (gear) is my prescription mask (custom trifocal) and camera. Everything else can be rented if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom