President Trump Pulls U.S. Out of the Paris Climate Accord

Do you think President Trump made the right choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 48.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we leave it to individuals, I have severe doubts any meaningful dent will be made. We are a consumerist society.

So you are in favor of a government taking away your individual rights? ..Or only if its for something you believe in? What happens when they start screwing with the things you think are important. Our government was set up with checks and balances for a reason! I fully concede that some of this problem was started with GWB in the post 9/11 homeland defense movement, but that does not excuse the unbridled overreach of power demonstrated by our last President, BHO.

Regarding a "consumerist society". I totally agree, but am constantly frustrated by governments foolish attempts to manage it. The "Cash for Clunkers" program cost taxpayers millions and contributed to dumping cars that could have otherwise been repaired to fuel new auto sales.

I am all for encouraging a reduction of waste. I have personally led a nation wide program to improve resource conservation within my company and have proven >$15 million dollars of savings based on that work. If you are as determined to work towards a personal impact on the problem.. then there are some real things you should personally STOP doing. ..Like drinking beer, that waste 5/1 water in the brewing process, and is much more of a problem than bottled water. (just an example)

Our government has not proven their ability to manage the postal system or the Medical system for our vets. It is insane to thing they can effectively manage even more of our daily lives.

... but that does not excuse the unbridled overreach of power demonstrated by our last President, BHO.

Regarding a "consumerist society". I totally agree, but am constantly frustrated by governments foolish attempts to manage it. The "Cash for Clunkers" program cost taxpayers millions and contributed to dumping cars that could have otherwise been repaired to fuel new auto sales.

Compared to Trumps selfish spending habits (golf trips, security, helicoper travels to and from Washington) Obama spent a couple hundred million less than Trump. And yes, thats taxpayers money. If he wants to make America great again but cutting "deals" that dont help taxpayers.... maybe he should start with himself :wink:

Compared to Trumps selfish spending habits (golf trips, security, helicoper travels to and from Washington) Obama spent a couple hundred million less than Trump. And yes, thats taxpayers money. If he wants to make America great again but cutting "deals" that dont help taxpayers.... maybe he should start with himself :wink:

See, this is where we differ greatly.. To reply to by comment that BHO engaged in a power 'overreach', you bring up a separate topic to compare DJT's travel expenses as hypocritical, but failed to even mention how abusive the BHO spending was? ..As if BHO and MO were frugal little angels, but spending our tax money carefully. When in fact, MO was in the habit of flying separately from the POTUS and engaging in shameless boondoggles taking their kids to Paris for shopping trips etc.

I am actually pretty disgusted by much of what OUR current President is doing. And I am not afraid to say that amongst my friends. He need to Grow TF Up and start acting Presidential. Stop giving his enemies a new thing to bitch about every day. And.. yes.. back off on the travel spending and make Melania and Baron move to the WH for gods sake..

But can we please try to stay on topic? Our last President, BHO disregarded rules and conventions to do things how ever he wanted.. (remember the pen & phone?). And now everybody is crying foul when the new guy is dialing things back a bit..

If you cannot at least recognize the hypocrisy, then you are a lost cause.

sadly my degrees in political science and history are actually becoming useful.

The PCA is a start. More needed to be done. The US could have stayed in and become a leader. Instead we'll let China and India take the lead. Those new solar panels and wind turbines that will power Europe and Asia will be built in China. And the US will buy them too. So much for America First.

The economics that drove the argument to drop from PCA don't hold any water. They are fictional arguments that do not present a basic understanding of economics. Lets just look at the US coal and steel industry. Those jobs that are lost there are gone due to technology and automation. Most of the heads of those industries leaders have stated that those jobs are gone. We had an opportunity within PCA to train technicians for new energy and a global demand. Dropping PCA will guarantee that other nations buy from PCA participants thereby costing the US even more jobs.

And lastly, Neal Tyson DeGrasse, Elon Musk, Bill Gates and the Pope to name a few urged Mr Trump to stay with the PCA. I am not so arrogant to pretend that I'm smarter than those gentlemen. But evidently Mr Trump thinks he is.

Now for those that want to flame me as some kind of un-American liberal, let me just put that fire out. I'm opposed to Mr Trump on many fronts but I am a Republican voter and was a strong supporter of Jeb Bush.

Trump waived his presidential salary. I glad he bailed on the Accord. The progressive's and globalist can't fix border problems but they can fix the climate.

Umm.. they do NOT want to fix the border problem, and I am not convinced they are really trying to improve our climate either.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest the Progressive movement is committed to reducing the standard of living of the USA to the benefit of the rest of the world. It's the "proven" model of wealth redistribution, just scaled for global execution. That's why treaties like the Paris accord need no justification and cannot withstand the challenge from a congressional vote. Most of the comments here are all emotionally based with very little (if any) prove that changes will have any positive impact on our environment.

.. Instead we'll let China and India take the lead.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. China is not going to do a damn thing that does not directly benefit them economically or militarily.

See, this is where we differ greatly.. To reply to by comment that BHO engaged in a power 'overreach', you bring up a separate topic to compare DJT's travel expenses as hypocritical, but failed to even mention how abusive the BHO spending was? ..As if BHO and MO were frugal little angels, but spending our tax money carefully. When in fact, MO was in the habit of flying separately from the POTUS and engaging in shameless boondoggles taking their kids to Paris for shopping trips etc.

I am actually pretty disgusted by much of what OUR current President is doing. And I am not afraid to say that amongst my friends. He need to Grow TF Up and start acting Presidential. Stop giving his enemies a new thing to bitch about every day. And.. yes.. back off on the travel spending and make Melania and Baron move to the WH for gods sake..

But can we please try to stay on topic? Our last President, BHO disregarded rules and conventions to do things how ever he wanted.. (remember the pen & phone?). And now everybody is crying foul when the new guy is dialing things back a bit..

If you cannot at least recognize the hypocrisy, then you are a lost cause.

My reference was loosely based on the abuse of power by Obama as you made mention. My rebuttal was that Mr. T is doing the same if (not more) just in the last few months. Obama wasnt frugal, but lets be honest here. If Trump keeps his current personal spending habits at the same level, he is calculated to spend a few hundred milliin more than Obama in just the 1st term of his presidency. So its not that im trying to be a hypocrite, but he keeps spewing that hes doing everything he can to make more jobs, etc etc. Why not cut back on his completely unnecessay habits and cut taxes for the middle class instead of for himself and the 1%? He isnt taking a salary because his life for the next 4 years is paid for by taxpayers. If anyone thinks hes being noble, then I agree with your post that "you are a lost cause."

So although "off-topic", I do believe my points are intertwined with the topic at hand.

sadly my degrees in political science and history are actually becoming useful.

The PCA is a start. More needed to be done. The US could have stayed in and become a leader. Instead we'll let China and India take the lead. Those new solar panels and wind turbines that will power Europe and Asia will be built in China. And the US will buy them too. So much for America First.

The economics that drove the argument to drop from PCA don't hold any water. They are fictional arguments that do not present a basic understanding of economics. Lets just look at the US coal and steel industry. Those jobs that are lost there are gone due to technology and automation. Most of the heads of those industries leaders have stated that those jobs are gone. We had an opportunity within PCA to train technicians for new energy and a global demand. Dropping PCA will guarantee that other nations buy from PCA participants thereby costing the US even more jobs.

And lastly, Neal Tyson DeGrasse, Elon Musk, Bill Gates and the Pope to name a few urged Mr Trump to stay with the PCA. I am not so arrogant to pretend that I'm smarter than those gentlemen. But evidently Mr Trump thinks he is.

Now for those that want to flame me as some kind of un-American liberal, let me just put that fire out. I'm opposed to Mr Trump on many fronts but I am a Republican voter and was a strong supporter of Jeb Bush.

Please substantiate your opinion on the deleterious outcome of the withdrawal.

The US could have stayed in and become a leader. Instead we'll let China and India take the lead. Those new solar panels and wind turbines that will power Europe and Asia will be built in China. And the US will buy them too.

Was there much chance that wasn't going to happen anyway? Did anyone think the bulk of those were going to be manufactured in the U.S.? Even now U.S. companies like Apple often rely heavily on Chinese manufacturing.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom