Presidente Hotel/Dive Paradise April 15-20 Trip Report Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon:
But I also know that some people live inside the box and like what they are familiar with, so they continue to return to the same place over and over, like creatures of habit. Myself, I encourage people to try some other places, especially since you need a passport now anyway to go to mexico, so you don’t have a excuse to not go anywhere besides the carribean or mexico. I guess this is longer that most trip reports, but the whole point of a trip report is to let other know your experiences so they can make decisions they feel are best for them, and I think I did that. Ciao..
Geoff

Could be that some people, myself included, just enjoy diving in Cozumel. I don't think that means we live inside a box, just that we enjoy what Cozumel has to offer (and the proximity doesn't hurt either).

It sounds like you had to deal with plenty of headaches right off teh bat. Some self inflicted most sound like not. While I have not eaten in most of teh same places I am really shocked by what your meals cost. When we have gone we don't spend near as much on meals. Your whole trip seems so much higher price then we normally spend.

If you do ever return hopefully you hook up with a smaller op and have a much better trip. One of the reasons we enjoy going there is its very very laid back vacation. We have always been in a condo or villa that may make it diffrent.

As for paragraphs if its to hard for people to read they just won't read it. Appreciated the detailed report.

Hey - Humboldt - my turf. Got the tubal ligations sorted out yet? :D

Oops. Just noticed you are from Humboldt CA, not Humboldt SK..... Sorry - you won't have known what the heck I was referring to.

gbrandon:
lol, i dont need to pm you. Thats what I spent, im not mad about it or upset, just letting others know the /QUOTE]

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here.

A 4 day trip to Cozumel with little planning is just not giving Cozumel a chance and should not count as "been there, done that". Your trip report is exceptionally detailed and many will find your experiences helpful. It's a shame that you weren't able to gather good recommendations from this board before your trip. Before you completely mark Cozumel off your list of dive destinations, consider one more trip, with some planning. It's amazing what you can learn from others' experiences.

Just one more note for everyone: when you are on vacation, it is exceptionally difficult for dive operators and other Cozumel businesses to reach you by phone. For some reason very few of you seem to spend your vacation sitting in your room waiting for the phone to ring! Messages taken by the front desk personnel rarely make it to the guests and automated answering services are tricky at best, as Geoff learned. Please do not ask or expect your dive operator to reach you. It is up to you to make contact, and to do so in a timely manner.

Geoff, after reading how much you spent on food and lodging, I had to wince when I read "I did have to grind on her to give us both 1 hour massages for $100 instead of the $120 they were asking". I hope you made up for it with an enormous tip!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

I've been to Cozumel a few times and clearly there are many types of divers, vacationers, preferences, etc. And like 'Coz Sally" just wrote, please don't be so quick to write off Cozumel. To me Cozumel is like a favorite restaurant. You're always going other places, yet every so often you return to favorite spot because there's just something about it

For me (w/r Cozumel) it's getting there in under 4hrs (non-stop), excellent diving, great food and darn good prices when it comes to a dive trip vacation.

I would also second some of the other members suggestions regarding researching an approrptiate dive operator for your diving preferences. Hopefully you can find an operator who will cater more to your equipment configuration, site preferences, profiles, etc.

Personally, if you can't find an operator who is fully on board for the SCR/CCR rigs and profile potentials, I would recommend leaving your rig at home for a place like Cozumel. Because, as soon as you get on a boat with the normal mix of experience levels, you'll be looking at a dive profile that may greatly undersell the capabilities of your system. And to compound things, the stealth of the SCR/CCR probably won't pay off (ie critter spotting) down there because you'll either be so far ahead of the group in those currents that you'll be at a greater risk of being lost. And if you're hanging back, the other divers will spook the occassional Nurse Shark or Eagle Ray before you get there anyway.

So I'd recommend at least one more trip there taking a different approach. Dig out your OC rig and pack it up. Fly directly into the island (as you did). Stay someplace a bit cheaper and closer to town (Casa Mexican is nice, still a bit spendy though). If you want breakfasts, try places in town (ie Jeanies, Palmera's, Rock'n'Java, a bakery, fruit from the Grocery store). Sign up for morning two tank dives with some of the excellent operators listed here repeatedly. Heck, I actually like Dive Paradise because I enjoy the time visiting with people, a covered boat and a head. And book a few afternoon dives too. If part of your SCR/CCR choice is managing PP02, avoiding deco, longer dives, etc then find a place with 100's or 120's and order up EAN36 for your second shallower dives. And when you're ready to go out and eat, get out of the Hotel every night. I always return to Guido's, Casa La Mission, French Quarter, Casa Dennis, Prima's, Poncho's, etc with my favorite being La Veranda.

Bonus! Cozumel can be a cheap low stress diving getaway. And with your setup, you could easily take advantage of those extra bucks putting them towards CCR trip to Cocos, Galapago's, etc.

New thread started on phone issues and contact issues n Cozumel...I didn't want to hi-jack gbrandon's thread :) which is what I had unintentionally done. Sorry!

However, on the topic of gbrandons very detailed report...I too had to gasp at what he paid for some of his meals. I frequent several of the places listed and have never had a bill as high...with or without drinks.

Boy, after reading the prices you posted, the suite we rented doesn't seem so expensive! We had a two bedroom suite with full kitchen, living room, and two balconies for $280 a night, and it allowed us to cook in for breakfasts and a couple of dinners. But we also never paid as much for the meals we did eat out as what you describe.

scrapdizzy:
How anyone could possibly read that is beyond me.
He explained how it happened; he wrote up his report in a word processor and tried to stream it into his browser, but his word processor does not play nicely with his browser software. I have run into the same sort of problems, so I just bite the bullet and type all my posts directly into the browser window.

ggunn:
He explained how it happened; he wrote up his repport in a word processor and tried to stream it into his browser, but his word processor does not play nicely with his browser software. I have run into the same sort of problems, so I just bite the bullet and type all my posts directly into the browser window.

lol....that sucks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom