Presidente vs Aura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm hoping for some help, guys. My wife and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary in May. We have narrowed it down to these 2 properties. This isn't a dive trip, but she has agreed to let me dive 3 out of the 6 mornings. :wink: We're looking at either the Presidente or Aura.

She wanted an all inclusive with a decent beach and some snorkeling. I was hoping someone on here has some experience with either or both properties. Would really appreciate any opinions.

I may have answered my own question. I just now realized that the Presidente isn't all inclusive. So, is the Aura the best all inclusive on the island? I also want to preface that we will still eat some meals in the town of Cozumel. We always like to try a little local flavor, too.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th this summer, so also looking at places to go and Cozumel is on our "short list". We've done Costa Rica a couple of times and an all inclusive couples resort in Jamaca last year for a "quick get away" for a few days. If we do go to Cozumel, we'll want to visit the island, not just sit on the beach.

Here is my thought-
If we are going to spend our time wanting to explore the area and do a few dives, we are leaning towards the non-AI places, going the small hotel route. When we did our Costa Rica vacations, we liked being able to go to the different locations/restaurants that were recommended by locals. We just used the hotel as a place to sleep and shower.

When we did the AI resort in Jamaca- the only thing we wanted to do was eat/sleep and get some time alone- so no reason or want to leave the resort.

Be interesting to read some others choices on what to do.

I may have answered my own question. I just now realized that the Presidente isn't all inclusive. So, is the Aura the best all inclusive on the island? I also want to preface that we will still eat some meals in the town of Cozumel. We always like to try a little local flavor, too.

As far as AIs are concerned, the Cozumel Palace is the best of the lot. It is close to downtown so walking in for dinner is possible and recommended.

The Presidente does have a nice beach, but the snorkeling is nothing much. I have stayed there and their Dive Op, Scuba Du is very good and with a 2 tank morning dive you'd be back by 12-12:30 for lunch.

I can't give any advice on Aura except to say it sounds very nice. I can vouch for Cozumel Palace! It is not adults only but there are very few kids there during the school year if that is something you are concerned with. The service is exceptional and the staff is something special. It's also nice because you are so close to town that you can venture out whenever you want. All their amenities are nice and the spa services are great! Good luck on your choice and happy early anniversary!

What is the name of the dive OP at the Palace? It is the only one on Sunwing's site that actually has 2 pictures of the dive lockers in there hotel pictures. :D

MC:
My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th this summer, so also looking at places to go and Cozumel is on our "short list". We've done Costa Rica a couple of times and an all inclusive couples resort in Jamaca last year for a "quick get away" for a few days. If we do go to Cozumel, we'll want to visit the island, not just sit on the beach.

Here is my thought-
If we are going to spend our time wanting to explore the area and do a few dives, we are leaning towards the non-AI places, going the small hotel route. When we did our Costa Rica vacations, we liked being able to go to the different locations/restaurants that were recommended by locals. We just used the hotel as a place to sleep and shower.

When we did the AI resort in Jamaca- the only thing we wanted to do was eat/sleep and get some time alone- so no reason or want to leave the resort.

Be interesting to read some others choices on what to do.

I think you are on the right track. Best thing we ever did was get away from the AIs. I don't drink enough (I mean I try, but....) and I don't need to eat that much. If sitting on the beach is not going to be a daily thing, I would get something in town where you can walk to many of the restaurants and the Plaza. Rent a car for everything else. We loved that so much we got a condo downtown. (which we do rent....) Walk to dinner, stroll some place else get a margarita. Walk to the museum for breakfast, etc, etc,.....

hmmm, only good beach is down a bit from Aura, you might look at one of the Occidentals, they are both on San Francisco Beach, both have nice spa's, and decent AI's......hit town for dinner!

We stayed at the Aura twice last year. We thought is was awesome, but people who have stayed at both aura and palace said palace was better. Aura has nice beach, no snorkeling. Not sure about snorkeling at the palace. The diveshop at aura was very good, our group of 6 did a snorkeling tour with them and had the boat to ourselves. I dove every day with them and had a great time. Aura is very far south of town and i think the taxi to town was kinda expensive, but the good thing was a very short boat ride to the dive sites. Palace is nice to be close to town, but a longer ride to the reefs. I think you will have a blast no matter which one you choose. have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom