Pressure gauge reliability

What types of equipment failures have you had with technology

• Experienced submersible pressure gauge failure (mechanical)

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Experience Transducer failure on air integrated computer (wireless)

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Experienced pressure gauge failure on air integrated console

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never had to abort a dive due to pressure gauge failure

Votes: 54 81.8%
  • Have had to a bort a dive due to pressure gauge failure

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • only used Mechanical SPG

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Only used WAI guage

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • have used both

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG is reliable enough to last for many yrs. It is not perfect but it does the job.

I wonder how many divers would buy AI if it has only one function ie. tank pressure?

I use one spg but two computers/bottom timers on every dive.

I use one SPG per tank. On some dives I use 2 PDC, most dives only 1, but always use a watch and an analog depth gauge. The depth gauge has a max depth reading and the watch gets set as a timer at the start of the dive.

To me PDC's are akin to AOW, I don't need either but have them because some ops require them.

I like others have only seen gauges fail before a dive - and someone usually has a spare one so no dives have been canceled. Honestly once you get into the thousands of dives done you have probably seen every piece of equipment fail at one point or another - I only use mechanical SPG's. I generally compare the decent rate of the needles between my two SPG's (sidemount) and could probably tell if one was out of wack if it happened during a dive - at that point as PfcAJ put it - the dive is done, you don't dive on broken gear.

I have seen one button SPG fail on a pony that was left at the anchor line durring the dive. I swam back by the pin and noticed rushing tiny bubbles escaping from the SPG I turned off the guys tank and left him a note. Only thing I can figure is the motion of the anchor line banged the tank enough to damage the gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom