Preventing lead shot oxidation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I made my own weight belt with lead shot (there are heaps of fishing tackle where I dive) 10 years ago and it served me well but there is one problem. My home made lead shot was cooled in water and started oxidizing from the first dive - the result is a milky white substance that is seeping out of the pouches after a dive and it causes a terrible mess on my diving gear. I noticed that the shot from a shot gun bullet has a black coating and is more resistant to oxidation.
Does anybody have a recipy for a lead shot cooling fluid that will help against oxidation as well? All articles on lead shot manufacturing I read stressed the importance of low surface tension of the cooling fluid but not anti oxidation properties.

Be careful with that lead substance, make sure It isn't transferred to your hands, eyes, ect. Also be sure you are not tracking the lead or oxide into areas where children would come in contact with it.
Lead Is a necessary evil right now, because we don't have anything to replace it. But we still need to remember it is harmful to living creatures human and otherwise.
Even the store bought pouches leak lead dust and oxides, and I am supprised that the EPA has not thought to regulate them the way they are trying to regulate lead ammunition.
I think that lead weight is safer as a block, where there is minimal surface area to oxidize and less chance of creating lead dust.
If you still want to work with lead shot, try mixing them with fiberglass resin, and then pouring them into a mold with a release agent. Then they are encapsulated, and cannot corrode.
Of course soft weights are more comfortable than hard, but at what un-seen cost?

I personally like to spray my lead weights down with the rubber coating stuff. Works great and lasts 4 ever.
obviously doesn't work on lead shot but its great for lead bricks.

You could also put the shot bags in a Ziploc or one of those vacuum seal bags. That would keep it from getting wet entirely.

I like the idea of sealing the pouch with lead shots in a thermoplastic bag. However, I still don't trust lead shots so I only use rubber coated weights (I even seal the molding hole in them with AquaSeal). I don't find block weights any less comfortable than shot weights when using a weight belt and trim pockets. :cool2:

You could also put the shot bags in a Ziploc or one of those vacuum seal bags. That would keep it from getting wet entirely.

Zip lock bags don't work, I've tried them. Even using two bags, making sure all the air is out and folding and taping somehow the water still got in.

Proper sealed thick plastic pouches may work, but it'd need to be durable plastic I'd reckon.

I bought 10 kgs of shot (can't remember what size, buckshot I think??) at made my own weights. I did spray the lead shot with a couple of light coats of paint which seemed to cut the oxidisation down a lot but have now long since given up on using shot for weight.

The problem is there is so much surface area to oxidise and then they all rub together and grind it off. Too messy, solid blocks are better IMO, just don't drop them on your toe!

Not to be contradictive but I have used this method for years and have had no fouling or leakage

Take Ziploc freezer bags as they are the thickest mil. Fold the bags into the form and shape you need. I then use 3 (three layers) of Duct tape again higher quality out there as there are cheap brands also 3M or Guerella brand. Tape in one direction trying to keep your shape and size overlapping at least 1 in. Then wrap cross ways, finishing up with a 3rd wrap the original direction.

This keeps moisture off the lead, and provides a thick protection against abrasion. I use different colors of taping and write the weights on the bag in permenant marker.

I put the shot in a freezer back, fold it to size. I put that inside of a nylon sleeve, and then put that inside of my mesh material. (Vinyl screen material). I have not opened all of this to see if any water is making it in, BUT I have not seen that lead stain in my BC or in my water tub when rinsing them off.

Hi All
Thanks for all the bags full of advice:wink: - guess I was under a false impression all the time thinking the shot sold in the shops were somehow made oxidation proof. I will raid the kitchen cupboard this coming week and let you know how it went although I now recall having motor cycle tubes somewhere in the garage - that should make a strong but flexible inner pouch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom