Preventing lead shot oxidation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never tried this but I think it might work. You could use the plastic-dip in a weight form to encase the lead so you end up with a flexible soft weight that you can put in the weight belt pocket. You would need to coat the form a few times first then when dry add the lead and fill the rest of the form with the dip so no lead is exposed. You would also have to make sure there was no air pockets in the dip. You could also use a zip lock bag as the form so it would be easier to get any air out then take it out of the bag and re-dip it if and lead is exposed. This would take longer to dry though and you would need to leave the top of the bag open and upright during the drying process. The only problem I can see after that is it may not hold up to a lot of flexing in the long run especially with fishing weights. Might work better using shot.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom