Preventing mask loss vs a spare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We looked at this in my SDI solo class and came up with the under the hood solution, clip to a short line, and spare mask. The closest I have come to losing a mask was also on one of my more challenging dives to that time. Diving on the Boland in Lake Erie. When I splashed I did not realize that the strap (with a slap strap) had slid up onto the top of my head. The two masks I have had so far have been great fits, seal very well, and really do not need a strap to stay on. But as I was descending on the wreck and passed thru the layer of poor vis that sometimes is found in the 40-70 range or so I kept getting water in the mask. At 80 or so I could see the wreck at 120-140 and as my face went numb from the 38 degree water I got a big splash of water when I went to look up. As I went to clear the whole thing came off and the feeling was quite invigorating:shocked2:. So I stopped and proceeded to put my mask back on at by now 90 feet or so in very cold water with a numb face. Not fun but if I had dropped it the ascent would not have been fun maskless. Now any time I am diving deep or cold or in current and especially in poor vis and alone I carry a spare. Diving with a good buddy makes losing a mask a non issue as you can rely on them for guidance. One of the skills I teach in my AOW Buddy Skills and Assist dive.

BTW I am also like Harry. I have bi focals in my mask.Without it can't see anything but have practiced solo ascents with out it using a line and relying on the feel of my ears to judge ascent rate.

You could still lower the mask below your jaw if you wanted-----it uses the standard mask clips so you could either pull the straps looser to go lower or undue one of the clips. The kit comes with two straps that you thread thru your standard clips and than you attach the other two ends to your hood. The hood side clips rotate so once attached you can freely rotate the straps front, back, etc. so really easy to throw your mask back over your head, on your forehead, or forward.

The main thing I like about it is no more worries thru surf where you normally either need to have the mask on, clipped off, or holding in your hand. With this you have two independent connections so it'd be very hard to loose it. The other thing I like is the back of the strap stays put and can't slide off your head like Jim mentioned.

Personally I'm a big fan and surprised it never took off more. Guess some people are so afraid of anything new and think everything that comes out is a gimmick. True for a lot of things but this is one that provides real benefits and if people actually gave it a chance-----they would see it actually works and better in a lot of ways.

Interesting concept, thanks. It looks like you can comfortably raise the mask to your forehead, but not pull down below your jaw… True? It isn’t exactly clear to me. Does this come with straps or do you modify the strap on your mask?
View attachment 105245

I was also thinking of a strap on the mask similar to a snorkel keeper and a plastic clip on the hood. Wouldn’t the advantage of redundant straps be the same for all practical purposes?

how about a thin bungee wrapped around the right side strap and attached with the smallest snap bolt to a D-ring or other attachment on the upper part of the BC.

The big problem with wearing the mask strap under the hood is that you can't do it with a snorkel attached to the mask. I pretty much always wear a snorkel.

I don't know, fifty odd years of doing this stuff and I've yet to lose my mask for the first time...

My first take as well, but then I started thinking about all the different ways I subconsciously protect the mask and what it would be like to be less concerned. After all this time I can't be sure that those reflexes wouldn't continue even after adding a keeper of some sort. It isn't as though the thought of losing a mask never occurred to us, but we have developed responses to minimize the risk.

how about a thin bungee wrapped around the right side strap and attached with the smallest snap bolt to a D-ring or other attachment on the upper part of the BC.

A line that long adds to the equipment jumble. My thinking is attaching to the center back of the hood prevents the line from snagging on your gear and interfering with head movement.

Ok..I too learned the bubble mask. I am as old as some of you. Saying that, I only pack an extra mask for night dives. Maybe because I dive in gin clear water, but if a mask get's kicked in the day, no problem. Night dives however, I have an extra mask in a pocket. Which means I may not have my backup DSMB..and that is OK as surface crews are much more vigilante during a night dive. YMMV

Oh..mask and strap OVER the hood. If under and it gets dislodged, you might have to strip the hood to straighten out.

Excellent point. I had forgotten that the few times I used that trick was on deep wreck dives and I had to remove the snorkel.
I did that trick once, I put my snorkel in behind my mask on the inside of my left thigh. I had a goodly swim back, so I pulled my snorkel out and there I was juggling too many things with heavy mitts on as I tried to push my hood off, take my mask off, pull my hood back up, put my mask back on, and get my snorkel in place without first loosing it.

Ok Ill be "that guy" Yep Ive lost mask and snorkle. In fairness it was one moment of inattention exiting through 5 foot surf.
Sit down to take fins off and stand up. Walking up to the beach and slid mask onto my forehead.One big wave decided to pounce Dive was finished so it was a pain and a cursing of my stupidity rather than dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom