Primary left post configuration??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am starting my tec cave course next week. I have started research and studying and noticed that the primary (long hose) is recommended to be on the left post for OC. I would like to get a feel for what you do and why?

I assume this will involve "reconfiguring" my valve drill and start left, middle and then right??

I think that move to the left post may be agency or instructor-dependent. Long hose stays on right post with some. Not that my observation answers your question in any way <G>. Have fun with your class!

Primary reg should be on your RIGHT post (the post that is over your right shoulder when wearing the rig). In an OOA emergency you are going to donate your long hose. A right post can't roll off, so you are sure that you are donating a reg that is working (plus you've been breathing on it). If you donate your right post reg, and put your left post reg in your mouth and it has become rolled off, all you have to do is reach back and turn it on. On the left post I have my SPG, Inflator for Wing and Second reg.

Yes, I know most people have their inflator on their RIGHT post, but if the inflator is on the left post, everytime you add gas to your wing, can you tell if you've had a left post roll-off? YUP!!!

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I appreciate

Agreed with the two fine folks above. I have noticed that some people say "left post" when what they really mean is "right post". They are referring to the left as you are looking at the doubles while you set them up, not what shoulder they sit over.

skip any class that recommends that configuration. or just go without the longhose. it's worthless on the left post.

I imagine your instructor wouldn't allow it anyway

It should be on the right post. If I were you, I would run kicking and screaming from any instructor who says otherwise.

Yes, I know most people have their inflator on their RIGHT post, but if the inflator is on the left post, everytime you add gas to your wing, can you tell if you've had a left post roll-off? YUP!!!

What most people are you referring to? I always inflated my wing from the left post and my drysuit from the right. Everyone I know using APEKS regs did likewise. The Scubapro guys like to cross them over.

To the OP long hose on right post is pretty much standard these days.

Having the inflator on the right post gives you something else to breathe off, in the unlikely event you have donated the long hose then roll off the left post in a restriction so tight you can not turn it back on again.
I suspect this has never actually happened in the history of diving though!

There are some strange old configurations shown in the IANTD cave manual--it badly needs a rewrite! As others have mentioned, modern usage has the long hose on the right post, and usually the inflator as well. If your long hose is on the left, and your OOA buddy is swimming ahead of you through a restriction, you could roll off the post and he will not only be OOA again, with no way to fix it, but might not even be able to let you know what the problem is.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom