Primary left post configuration??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having the inflator on the right post gives you something else to breathe off, in the unlikely event you have donated the long hose then roll off the left post in a restriction so tight you can not turn it back on again.
I suspect this has never actually happened in the history of diving though!

A far more common scenario is an inflator that sticks. Going vertical allows you to dump your wing with your left hand, simultaneously dumping your suit in the process. The right hand is free to attempt to disconnect the hose or shut down the right post if that's not working out (frozen, stuck, or just butterfingers).

Having the inflator on the right post gives you something else to breathe off, in the unlikely event you have donated the long hose then roll off the left post in a restriction so tight you can not turn it back on again.
I suspect this has never actually happened in the history of diving though!

Very amusing observation. I wonder how many things have gone wrong before a properly equipped cave diver even needs to be breathing off a long hose (two at least) then to have a valve roll off in restriction the odds just seem so astronomical yet we are trained to deal with it like it was an every day occurrence.

If you need it though... I can think of one cave I dive pretty regularly where that might be a real thing if the dive goes tits up

I think that move to the left post may be agency or instructor-dependent. Long hose stays on right post with some. Not that my observation answers your question in any way <G>. Have fun with your class!

Nah, I think the consensus with traditional North Florida Cave rig is long-hose on the right post, back up on the left. The positioning of LP hoses for wing and suit engenders more debate, but right is right for the long hose and what's left is for you.

Nah, I think the consensus with traditional North Florida Cave rig is long-hose on the right post, back up on the left. The positioning of LP hoses for wing and suit engenders more debate, but right is right for the long hose and what's left is for you.

Good to know re: general consensus... I was aware that there is at least one instructor in N FL who still favors the left post, and I've heard several people reference/question that illustration so I wasn't sure how pervasive the practice is. The one person I knew who had taken courses with the aforementioned instructor, moved his long hose to the right post during a recent class where this topic came up.

Wow. I really didn't think anyone had advocated the left post in the past 10 years.

skip any class that recommends that configuration. or just go without the longhose. it's worthless on the left post.

I imagine your instructor wouldn't allow it anyway

Agreed. I had a quick conf call last night to confirm a couple of things. He nearly had a heart attack when I mentioned primary on left post option.

Thanks for all the positive feedback from everyone.

Good to know re: general consensus... I was aware that there is at least one instructor in N FL who still favors the left post, and I've heard several people reference/question that illustration so I wasn't sure how pervasive the practice is. The one person I knew who had taken courses with the aforementioned instructor, moved his long hose to the right post during a recent class where this topic came up.
Freakin crackheads :)

You'd be surprised how often it comes up over on Yorkshire Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom