Primary light won't light ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm stunned divers are actually suggesting in public that continuing to enter a cave on a backup is a good idea.
I'm not surprised. I'm sure they would still do the dive if they forgot their helmet too.

I'm not surprised. I'm sure they would still do the dive if they forgot their helmet too.

Good point jeff, I'd better make sure mine is packed for next week as I dont know if I can get a replacement in mx!

Now off to do some more internet diving to get my counts up!

If you can't see, I imagine a helmet is a good idea. Off to MX with that Limeyx Brit to use our newfound cyber diving skills.

Good point jeff, I'd better make sure mine is packed for next week as I dont know if I can get a replacement in mx!

Now off to do some more internet diving to get my counts up!

If you can't see, I imagine a helmet is a good idea. Off to MX with that Limeyx Brit to use our newfound cyber diving skills.

Have fun storming the castle!!

I'm stunned divers are actually suggesting in public that continuing to enter a cave on a backup is a good idea.
I'm stunned that you and Mike have such abysmal reading comprehension skills. I'll simplify the OP for you both:

"Would you do a cave dive with a 3W LED as your primary light."

And there is no right or wrong answer here. The standards say a "20W light", which is completely ambiguous in today's light market, so it's not a valid arguing point. You have to look at what is a primary light for? Um, illumination (check), signaling (check). If you're really that concerned about being able to run a reel/spool, donate gas, search for the line with a backup then you have no business inside the cave. What happens if your super bright goodman-handled primary fails at the Bats, your buddy loses a tank neck o-ring, who knows what? Eh... f-it, can't do it. From there it's just a matter of personal preference, which means an obvious answer for some before they even consider the question, for the rest of us it's just a lower light cave dive.

Oh, and Mike... :mooner:

I'm stunned that you and Mike have such abysmal reading comprehension skills. I'll simplify the OP for you both:

"Would you do a cave dive with a 3W LED as your primary light."

And there is no right or wrong answer here. The standards say a "20W light", which is completely ambiguous in today's light market, so it's not a valid arguing point. You have to look at what is a primary light for? Um, illumination (check), signaling (check). If you're really that concerned about being able to run a reel/spool, donate gas, search for the line with a backup then you have no business inside the cave. What happens if your super bright goodman-handled primary fails at the Bats, your buddy loses a tank neck o-ring, who knows what? Eh... f-it, can't do it. From there it's just a matter of personal preference, which means an obvious answer for some before they even consider the question, for the rest of us it's just a lower light cave dive.

Oh, and Mike... :mooner:

No one is saying they can't do those things w/a backup light, it's just not optimal.
To me, a bit like starting a 400 mile car journey on one of those small-sized spare tires -- sure you could but why not get the main tire fixed first ?

*if* the 3W LED had a goodman handle, and *if* I had tested it and it was as strong as the rest of the teams even when there was silt (or tannic caves that eat light) and I had 2 more backups, then yes it's just a weaker primary light.

If not, it's not. I would not start a cave dive on a light like my 3W Heser backup even if it had a goodman handle as it doesn't seem bright enough to me, and definitely not as bright as the rest of the people I dive with.

Thats ok I don't dive with people who have 100x more posts on the internet than cave dives.

and you use that as a basis for dive buddys :D

I would hope that if I'm doing a lost line search that I still have lights and good ones. Yes I can do it completely blind. But the chances of actually successfully reconnecting with buddies and/or the line are vastly increased with a decent light. I will stack the odds of staying on the line in the first place and refinding it much higher with a decent light. That means 10W HID-like power. Maybe a 10W handheld, although Limeyx makes alot of good points and since I and none of my buddies have ever used one I am on the fence on this issue.

Okay, we're not on the same page here. The only reason I can think of for having to do a lost line/buddy drill is in a silt out. If I have enough visibility that my light is actually illuminating the cave, then I'm going to know where the line/my buddy is.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom