Princeton Tec Miniwave II Light Mod.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've recently built a couple of canister lights, so I retired my Miniwave II. I had a surefire LED laying around after upgrading the LED in my surefire so I decided to put it in the Miniwave II. This mod was fairly easy and straightforward and did make the miniwave II brighter, but I think I can get more light out of it by getting a brighter LED. While I was upgrading the bulb I went ahead and added a rechargable battery pack.

A picture of the assembly without modification.

After disassembling the unit I used a dremel router type bit to cut the hole out of fit the surefire, and then smoothed it out with a sandpaper bit.

Clipped the wire off of the surefire LED, and popped in place on reflector.

Front view.

Notes on where to solder the LED connections, and showing where I soldered a wire for the rechargable battery.

The other side.

I'm using a 8.4v Ni-MH 1000mAh battery out of an R/C airplane. I plan on going to the battery source and getting the largest rechargable that will fit in the case, but I had this battery and wasnt using it for anything else so went ahead and hooked it up.

I removed the battery springs from the bottom of the case to make more room for the new battery.

Finished assembly with battery.

Two pictures of the finished product.

And a beamshot from 6'.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom