Princeton Tec Torrent LED or Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both, and both are terrible options for a primary.

Consider the Oxycheq Raider 4

I had a Scout, I dumped it on ebay. It had all the power of a dim candle. Nice build quality but why bother, it does not deliever on the promise and produces a very dim, reddish glow. The LED conversion kit is expensive. Good riddance, after that and the Halcyon spring strap fiasco, I have decided they can make their fancy high dollars products for somebody who does not expect the stuff to actually work and fuction in the real world.

N

The Scout does what it was designed to do. The Torrent LED is brighter, but less focused. Get a Gultex Photon Torpedo. That should sort you right out.

No question, Oxycheq Raider is the way to go SUPER BRIGHT, WHITE light, durable, easy on batteries, small. Well worth the money.

Torrent LED is good as a backup, but I'd buy a 2nd raider if I had to do it all over again. The raider uses 3 batteries (I think torrent uses 6 or 8) but the raider is brighter, whiter, and lasts at least as long.

A new raider is about to hit the market. brighter light, rechargable batteries, magnetic switch, etc. Sadly, I believe the price is pretty high.

A new raider is about to hit the market. brighter light, rechargable batteries, magnetic switch, etc. Sadly, I believe the price is pretty high.

you can get the 'new raider' w/o the rechargeable batteries and it's a little cheaper.

it uses CR-123a batteries.

No question, Oxycheq Raider is the way to go SUPER BRIGHT, WHITE light, durable, easy on batteries, small. Well worth the money.

Torrent LED is good as a backup, but I'd buy a 2nd raider if I had to do it all over again. The raider uses 3 batteries (I think torrent uses 6 or 8) but the raider is brighter, whiter, and lasts at least as long.

Raider I is about $70
Raider III is about $170
Raider IV is about $140

Torrent LED now has 95 Lumens and retails for $60. It's one of the brighter lights on the market for that price. It takes 8 AA alkaline batteries which wont explode if they touch salt water like the CR123 Lithiums. Full lifetime warranty also means it can be repaired or replaced if it breaks.

Back
Top Bottom