Private boats and moorings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like many of the florida boating laws, there is a 'catch all' regulation that is normally written on the citation that an officer will hand you. It is:

Anyone who operates a vessel with willful disregard for the safety of persons or property will be cited for reckless operation (a first-degree misdemeanor).

Leaving a boat unattended while everyone is diving is considered willful disregard for the safety of persons and property. It is up to the officer's discretion to write the ticket, but almost all of them will if they catch you. The younger kids like to tie an anchor rope to their belt and hunt while tethered to the boat above, it's called redneck diving and they get busted frequently. I understand alot of people do this type of diving and I know alot of people that have to go to boating school because of it.

I've had the marine patrol in FL check my bag and measure my lobsters when I surfaced to my unattended boat. He measured my lobsters and never mentioned anything about the boat. It's pretty common for two divers to run out, anchor, and go for a dive.

I going to go ahead and say it. Florida FWC pretty much ride around in their boats with a blank rule book. If they feel you are in the wrong - they write the rule in their book - and guess what? You are wrong.

If you are feeling adventurous - I also recommend arguing with them. They write more rules in their blank book that you are breaking. Its virtually no-win.

I have friends in the Keys and throughout Florida who work for FWC - they think my complaining is funny. They really like it when I start tossing names around to get out of silly tickets...:D

I guess Im trying to say it would not surprise me to surface to an FWC boat and get a ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom