Private Lake diving -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meekal

Contributor
Reaction score
i don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, the MODERATOR is of course welcome to move to a more appropriate forum if needed, but i figured the folks in here might know the answer.

i have a friend that lives in a townhouse in a gated community here in tampa, fl. she's on a 3 acre lake that is 'rumoured' to have some old construction equipment (bulldozers and the like) at the bottom. there would be no recovery, just a fun afternoon of checking it out, but i was wondering what (if any) permission we would need to dive the lake?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure but a good place to start would be with her homeowners association or check with member services, etc.

OTOH, you could just gear up the jump in the lake and check things out. If someone is waiting on you when you surface just play dumb and act like you really didn't think it would be problem. (I would make sure that by doing this you are not violating any local laws)

Jeremy

Chances are you are going to need permission. If it's gated they dont want people just wandering in on their own.

I was doing work at a gated community earlier this week. This lady had found a way in but her car was parked outside the gate. She asked me for the gate code. Flashed me her U.S. Census badge and told me she had to have the code. (I almost laughed at her.) Gave her the name of the property management company if she wanted the code and access.

Your friend probably recieved a welcome packet of information about the comunity upon moving in. In these materials is prbably states if the pond can be used for recreational activites. Give that a shot.

Forgiveness is sometimes easier to obtain than permission........

WD

willydiver:
Forgiveness is sometimes easier to obtain than permission........

WD

My thoughts exactly.

You could always say your on a mission to locate the missing equipment, just leave out the part where no one actually hired you to do that.

I have never seen anyone leave a dozer or the like at the bottom of a lake.
Especially a retention pond in FL.

Even the scrap value of a dozer is worth the salvage and there are lots of people who get upset at people leaving junk in the water.

Many things with ponds,
1. its in Florida =Make sure your not a Gator snack!
2. Poor vis usually none!
3. liability to the association.

I could not imagine any HOA giving permission for anyone to enter a pond in florida. Too many possibilities of lawsuits. However, since she lives there, I don't think it would be illegal. So the best place to look would be the HOA rules. She should have been given a packet when she moved in. I am guessing they have a strict "no swimming" rule for the pond. That said, you will most likely get a warning letter to her telling her not to do it again. PS> The vis will most likely be so bad you can't see the equiptment, you will have to feel around it. Be sure to bring safety shears also, as those ponds have a good entanglement possibility.

Back
Top Bottom