PRO/CON Cutting tool tip and blade options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha,
I thought a knife was the last thing I’d want for an accessory, but I am looking for a cutting tool. I’ve been searching here but unable to find what I’m looking for. (The links to specific products were very helpful.) Some of this is obvious but I could use more experienced help, please.
I used a Buck Knife for years (no, not diving) and liked it to be scary sharp, quick and easy to access and secure. I don’t loose knives; this one is my oldest at 27 years. I do have a 400 SS Gerber folding ‘river knife’. No problem maintaining a razor edge but having to wash, get the inside dry and lube every dive is annoying and one more thing to clip and unclip from a pocket. My BC has grommet holes, I think I’d like a knife mounted there (everything in its place), I know that limits my choices.

Primarily I’m expecting removing trash like nets or line. I have no desire to harm living creatures or encourage them to defend themselves. Since my very protective canine will not be looking out for me I think some kind of protection would also be a good reason to carry a knife, just in case.
No complicated environment, saltwater presently but plan to consider more advanced diving (maybe the cat’s pj’s) and dive other locations. I maintain my toys and prefer to get one and use forever.
My big question is not what you got so much as; what are the pro’s and con’s of the tip types – stiletto, blunt, tanto and blade - serrated, smooth, ceramic?
My thoughts so far.
EMT Shears: am considering and I read to keep the tips together with tubing which answered one of my con’s. I’ve carried them for years and they are somewhat large, as in flat plate type rigidity for pocket stowage. I hate dingle dangling so would not just clip on a D ring. Defiantly had problems with the fatish tip getting under tight places. They work for SS line, at least once (major game fishing here).
Stiletto: I’m thinking this would be more of a knife than a cutting tool. Pretty serious protection and pretty easy to poke into unwanted places like my BC. But the point tip would be better to slip under a constriction – worst case; myself entangled and not standing still to work out the knot.
Blunt: Looks better at prying, but not hunting so why else would I pry? Certainly less chance of piercing.
Tanto: Looks like a compromise between pointy and not and seems close to what I’d want. Is it not particularly good at either? Does that tip slip under well?
Smooth and Serrated: I’ve found both useful but more so the smooth. I’m guessing the serrated blade quality has improved significantly, is this true? I read several posts claiming each did/did not cut effectively in a rope type situation but they were old, any current thoughts? I know slicing squishy things like a tomato, serrated works better. Would kelp be considered soft skinned? Would having both be a good idea or is something sacrificed with the combination? How about one sharp side with both, stronger? Both, one on each side? I lean toward a stiffer blade – power, when would I want more flexible?
Ceramic: I like the no rust and hard. Brittle, but not too worried since not planning to pry or drop on the tile floor and should be protected in the sheath, right? Never used one tho, how well do they work, maintain sharpness?
H1 steel: I followed a link to Spyderco that talks about this, what does it mean?
Sheepshead: I’m liking this best but not sure if I can find one with my other desires (length, mounting, weight, yadda yadda yadda).

I know that’s a lot of questions (and yes, I drove my parents’ bats) but I would be grateful for any experience you can contribute.
Mahalo
Lisa

You cannot beat a good sharp titanium knife.

Make sure your knife has a serrated back, so that it will also cut wire.

If you dive from the beach then mount your knife on your arm or B/C. From a boat you can mount it anywhere including your lower leg.

If you are afraid of sticking yourself, the square tips are good for you.

If you are shy about wearing a knife, like so many, then a set of shears is your best 2nd choice.

triton94949:
You cannot beat a good sharp titanium knife.
You can't beat one, but it is darn hard to find one. Titanium tends to develop a bur that rolls back and forth on the edge when sharpening, so "sharp" becomes a relative term.

For "scary sharp" I still prefer my UISMC K-bar, but it is way out of style for a dive knife.

Next in line for scary sharp honors is an old SP stilletto. Not sure what grade of stainless they used, but it was a great blend of edge holding and rust protection. It was also serrated on one side, which is a must have item.

I don't mind a sharp point, but I have only had need for a sharp point once, and that was to poke a hole to let the air out of a large plastic tank once on a commercial dive. A blunt tip definitely makes you less nervous around the BC and dry suit.

redrover:
My thoughts so far. ...
Smooth and Serrated: I’ve found both useful but more so the smooth. I’m guessing the serrated blade quality has improved significantly, is this true? I read several posts claiming each did/did not cut effectively in a rope type situation but they were old, any current thoughts? I know slicing squishy things like a tomato, serrated works better. Would kelp be considered soft skinned? Would having both be a good idea or is something sacrificed with the combination? How about one sharp side with both, stronger? Both, one on each side? I lean toward a stiffer blade – power, when would I want more flexible?
Ceramic: I like the no rust and hard. Brittle, but not too worried since not planning to pry or drop on the tile floor and should be protected in the sheath, right? Never used one tho, how well do they work, maintain sharpness?
H1 steel: I followed a link to Spyderco that talks about this, what does it mean?
Sheepshead: I’m liking this best but not sure if I can find one with my other desires (length, mounting, weight, yadda yadda yadda).

I know that’s a lot of questions (and yes, I drove my parents’ bats) but I would be grateful for any experience you can contribute.
Mahalo
Lisa
The real advantage of a serrated blade is that the serrations cause the angle of attack from the cutting edge to the thing that is being cut to change very quickly as the blade moves, and the cutting force is applied to a much smaller surface area (as compared to a long straight blade). When it comes to cutting thick things like rope, serrated is definitely better because it has some "sawing" effect.

The problem with too many serrated blades is that some knife manufacturers can't figure out that it is hard to sharpen a serrated blade that has been carved on both sides of the same cutting edge. You want the serrations on one side of the edge, so you can sharpen it properly without a lot of trouble.

The knife I have has one serrated edge (serrated on only one side), a straight edge, and a blunt tip. There is a small line-cutting notch in the blade. A better design would have the line-cutting notch toward the middle or even front of the blade, so you only have to get a little part of the blade under the line to cut it. With the notch back toward the hilt, almost the entire blade has to be past the line before you reach the notch. If the line is pulled tight across something (like your arm or leg or body), it may not be that easy to get the line into the notch without cutting yourself.

A straight blade will cut best when it has some "shape" to it - instead of a straight line, a curve along the edge will also change the angle of attack as the blade is used to cut.

I think a strong stiff blade is always better than a flexible blade.

H1 steel is a specialty steel that is supposed to keep an edge like carbon steel while resisting corrosion. I don't know how well it does either because I have no experience with the stuff.

Thank you for the help. I think I’m getting close to a decision. Anyone have the Deep See Squeeze Lock or know anything about it?

Unless you need to cut rope or steel leader, consider a z-knife. Small, sharp, easy to mount, easy to use.

I still prefer my blunt, short serated knife that I have mounted on my waistbelt. The blade is only about 2.5" long and I don't have to worry about stabbing myself when I'm sheathing it. It is super sharp and the knife and sheath cost me a whole $9.00 That said I also carry a pair of EMT shears in a pocket.

Thank you for more food for thought, I didn’t know serrated would cut wire! I thought I was getting close to a decision. But thanks to y’all the dilemma remains. I looked up suggestions and lo and behold was sent back here to ScubaBoard threads with more good info I’d not seen. Gee, I tried so hard to ‘search’ for myself before asking.
I’ve been checking out – more like feeling up than looking up – knives and found I may be able to use the barnacle nut attachment on more sheaths than I realized.
Anybody know if I can trim one side of the plastic ‘nut’ that would slip under a clip on a plastic sheath (to match my hole reach)? Anybody have anything good or bad to say about barnacle nuts in general?
Remember please, I’m not into strap on’s, :censored: don’t go there. But (on an entirely different subject and recently revived thread) if ya want to explain the goat thing, I’m curious).

Back
Top Bottom