Pro Dive, Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

................It's too bad really, because some less attractive shops will benefit from the large vacuum created by ProDive's disappearance. And the area really needs a shop like that to set the bar in training, lest the bar now drop lower. It takes a business with some critical mass to set that bar in training, merchandise, and service. It will be interesting to see who steps up to the plate in Ft. Lauderdale, if any.

Well, just suppose...............

That there is no vacuum? While I am sure that competitive pressure was tough with the opening of Scuba Emporium, Pro Dive appeared to be VERY well positioned to meet that competitive pressure. I expect that the loss of Richard last year was a blow, but Pro Dive was a very classy, by-the-books operation. Maybe the decline in the number of people wanting to become an instructor is exactly mirroring the decline in the number of scuba certifications in the United States. Maybe the "vacuum" created by poor enrollment in their first-class school has now equalized.

What a shame. This is such a fun sport. In my view, this is ONLY the beginning. Some very important and established business interests in this industry are having a lot of trouble. This does not bode well for the near future. The lack of child "water-bugs" does not bode well for the long-term future.

Oh well, just my opinion.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

The lack of child "water-bugs" does not bode well for the long-term future.

I blame video games and bicycle helmets. Everytime I see a kid who calls himself a gamer or wears a bicycle helmet I think he needs a shirt that reads, "I am my mommy's precious little sugar-britches." :D

I did not know the commander was there. He was awesome at Pro Dive. I had heard he was going to take over a CDC in the Keys, but I guess he stayed put in Fort Lauderdale. Good to know.

We just had the pleasure of doing a dive with the Commander aboard back in Nov. I'm sure he didn't know then anything was going on back then. He'll be a great asset where ever he goes. He instructed one of my ex's through the IDC. I remember doing a Thursday night tech dive with him off of the PDII. He was one of the information guys on my road to trimix back then.

Here he is:

Attachments

• IMG_0954 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0954 (Small).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 203
We dive with them at lease 4 or 5 times, two times a year for the last 5 years. We are going to miss them. And captain Stu. They almost always went out, even when the seas were too rough for the other dive boats. But I did notice that the last year they did not go out on rough sea like they use too before. Was in because of the accident? It was a nice location for their shop.

It may have been a side effect of the accident, but probably not directly caused by it. Accidents have a way of making people review their insurance coverage, and talk to their insurance carrier.

The reason some boats will not go out when it is "rough" is because some insurance carriers will not cover a boat if it unties from the dock while there is a Small Craft Advisory.

If I were a dive boat owner I don't think I would take the risk of having something happen on or with my boat only to have the insurance company deny coverage because I went out during a Small Craft Advisory.

Didn't know that since he didn't mention being there when we were on the boat with him. But, I was refering to the situation at ProDive. I'm sure it didn't come up in a matter of days or even a couple of months. I would guess they were planning to shut it down for some time. There is a lot that goes on during the dissolution of a company. It took us almost one year to bring the flight school down to the point where the doors could be closed in a proper manner.

No one has mentioned this but when I dove there I could not believe the prices they charged on outtings. I mean $60 including 2 tanks. That is unheard of in todays day in age especially considering the overhead this dive shop must've had. The mom and pop shops of north SFL area charge at least 15% - 20% more on average. Just a thought. Also he explicitly said "common economics" which in itself maybe a clue to the cause of the demise. Meaning they may have just been offered a offer they simply could not refuse. Oh well either way its a sad day for the SFL dive community. Good diving to all.

No one has mentioned this but when I dove there I could not believe the prices they charged on outtings. I mean $60 including 2 tanks. That is unheard of in todays day in age especially considering the overhead this dive shop must've had. The mom and pop shops of north SFL area charge at least 15% - 20% more on average. Just a thought. Also he explicitly said "common economics" which in itself maybe a clue to the cause of the demise. Meaning they may have just been offered a offer they simply could not refuse. Oh well either way its a sad day for the SFL dive community. Good diving to all.

No, actually $60 is above average to go out on a cattle boat in Broward County. I pay $60 to dive on six-pack boats.

I have had no dealings with the Florida store, but I do know that Scuba Emporium runs a very good program in Chicago. If not for Harold and the gang I could be still up north freezing my butt off and not sitting in the keys diving and running boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom