Probably saved myself $2K today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point that has sailed completely over your head is that drysuits keep you warm, dry and comfortable between dives as well as on the dive.

I dare say that if I lived in a relatively benign climate like California then the period between dives wouldn't matter so much but, where I am, a diver in a wetsuit will become very cold, possibly hypothermic in an open boat 90% of the time.

A diver who turns up for a boat trip in a wetsuit is a diver who won't get invited out on the boat a second time because so many concessions have to be made to keep them warm.
I dive wet on shore dives in so. Ca. Because I have a fake hip, and getting my fins on in any kind of surf is a nightmare, and usually from the shore I'm only doing one dive. On a multi tank boat day I dive dry, because while yes we do have very moderate temps, the fact is the water a depth is usually low 50's, and our conditions on the ocean are often 10-15 degrees cooler than inland, and to boot our best diving conditions are in the winter! Wetsuit divers are often seen putting the warm water hose down there backs! Drysuit divers, very comfortable! So as many have said drysuit, is about staying dry, and that keeps you comfortable all day

I dive wet on shore dives in so. Ca. Because I have a fake hip, and getting my fins on in any kind of surf is a nightmare, and usually from the shore I'm only doing one dive. On a multi tank boat day I dive dry, because while yes we do have very moderate temps, the fact is the water a depth is usually low 50's, and our conditions on the ocean are often 10-15 degrees cooler than inland, and to boot our best diving conditions are in the winter! Wetsuit divers are often seen putting the warm water hose down there backs! Drysuit divers, very comfortable! So as many have said drysuit, is about staying dry, and that keeps you comfortable all day

The hot water hose feels great, but it also starts a terrible cycle. The hot water opens the blood flow full blast contrary to the bodies tendency to restrict flow to conserve heat. About 10 minutes later, you are colder than you started and go back for more. You repeat until you decide to skip the 3rd dive which you have paid for, then the idea of a dry suit makes more sense. When diving wet on a boat, I find removing the jacket or peeling down and donning a dive coat is better than the hose.

OK, I'll take your word for it. My Henderson Hyperflex 5 mm is very easy to put on and off. But even if the new 7mm suits are easier to put on than the old ones, they still have the same thermal characteristics, right (assuming proper fit).

In any case, this really wasn't a dis to wetsuits, they are fine, one of many tools that I use for diving. I just didn't agree that we would always prefer to be diving wet, and that a dry suit was a less than optimal accommodation to colder temperatures... I just wore mine in Florida!

I don't have a basis for comparison on the thermal characteristics, so I couldn't really offer a definitive answer on that.

I'm completely agree on the absolute preference for wetsuits. If all conditions were optimal with warm water and only two dives in a day, I'd likely prefer the wetsuit. However, I agree the benefits of a drysuit are found even in warm waters.

I always felt that an excellent semi-dry worked just great for staying warm underwater. ....

I agree with everything you said except this part. No way a semi-dry/wet suit can be "just as warm underwater" assuming the proper undergarments are used. Is it bareably? Yes. As warm/comfort? No far from it especially in 50F water

---------- Post added May 15th, 2014 at 12:26 PM ----------

The hot water hose feels great, but it also starts a terrible cycle. The hot water opens the blood flow full blast contrary to the bodies tendency to restrict flow to conserve heat. About 10 minutes later, you are colder than you started and go back for more. You repeat until you decide to skip the 3rd dive which you have paid for, then the idea of a dry suit makes more sense. When diving wet on a boat, I find removing the jacket or peeling down and donning a dive coat is better than the hose.

This was exactly what happened in my last boat dive in wetsuit. I skipped the 3rd dive. Every dry diver on the boat was having fun. Most of the wet divers were miserable with the wind chill. It was what pushed me to go dry. $600 and a pool session with an UTD instructor later, I became one having fun on dive boat.

My first suit was a wetsuit 3mm and dive times was around 45min. After bought a 7mm my dive times was 100min.After that got a semidry and maximum dive time increased to 130min.Now i dive with a drysuit for 240-300min and the reason usually i abandon the dive is not due to the cold but from hunger.

Like some people mentions.Wet or dry, who cares what you wearing? They are just tools not your favorite football team.

@Malpaso

To feel comfortable in the water with a drysuit you need more than one dive(took me 6-8 dives).Is like a baby learning how to walk from the first steps.For sure will return to crawling.
The majority if not all of people who have a drysuit was start by using a wetsuit and maybe still using one. Can you guess the reason?

@Malpaso

To feel comfortable in the water with a drysuit you need more than one dive(took me 6-8 dives).Is like a baby learning how to walk from the first steps.For sure will return to crawling.
The majority if not all of people who have a drysuit was start by using a wetsuit and maybe still using one. Can you guess the reason?

I was not uncomfortable at all. On the contrary, I was comfortable right off the bat. However, I saw no benefit to me that was worth $2K. As many have said, there are benefits. If I could get one for a few hundred dollars complete, I probably would.

I was not uncomfortable at all. On the contrary, I was comfortable right off the bat. However, I saw no benefit to me that was worth $2K. As many have said, there are benefits. If I could get one for a few hundred dollars complete, I probably would.
You could, it just wouldnt have the (IMO overrated) DUI tag on it...

You could, it just wouldnt have the (IMO overrated) DUI tag on it...
I don't care about tags, but I do care about quality, in all my activities. Before this demo tour, I had never heard of DUI, but I had looked at prices. I don't see where I can get a quality dry suit, under garments, gloves, hood, boots, etc. for a price that makes sense for something that is a "nice to have' not a "need to have". The least expensive quality dry suit I've seen on line runs $900 for the suit alone, and I'm not buying on line, I'm buying from my LDS so I get fitted correctly.

No sane person would think diving was worth it if they realized the cost up front. I am sure if my wife knew I would be a dead man walking.
Definitely don't look at u/w camera gear, its not worth it either, ditto for my boat, my guns and other man-toys.

No sane person would think diving was worth it if they realized the cost up front. I am sure if my wife knew I would be a dead man walking.
Definitely don't look at u/w camera gear, its not worth it either, ditto for my boat, my guns and other man-toys.

I don't have a wife, that's why I have expensive hobbies. Or is it the other way around :confused:

To put it in the perspective that you mention, I'm fine with a go-pro. I'm not a very good photographer/videographer. I've tried expensive cameras. I don't do any better. If I did, I'd probably own a $10K underwater set up. Similarly, if the dry suit suited my needs I'd spend the cash on it. The wet suit is sufficient for what I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom