Problem Equalizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

into_the_plane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So for pretty much all my dives I have had trouble equalizing. I manage to get down to whatever depth we are going to (20-40 ft) but it takes me a really long time and involves some pain in my ears. Also on my last few dives my nose has started bleeding during the dive. It seems like the only way I can equalize is by swallowing ALOT and even that is painful. I cannot equalize doing the standard valsalva (hold your nose and gently blow) method.

Has anyone else had trouble like this? Is it possible my Eustachian tubes just aren't wide enough? What's the deal here?

Would anyone recommend Doc's Proplugs? Do these really help equalizing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For any of you having similar problems read this article, it may help.

DAN Divers Alert Network : Guide to Avoiding Ear & Sinus Injuries in Scuba Diving

Wow, That is rough. Since yo reference the DAN site, i imagine you have explored pretty much what any of us might have to say. But just in case here goes.

Do you start clearing when water first washes over the top of your head and then ever couple of feet after that, or do you wait until there is discomfort? Have you come back up a few feet and tried again?

Yea I have tried all of that. I have never actually felt like I have equalized. All I have ever done is reactively alleviate pressure by swallowing a bunch and moving my head/jaw. I have never been able to get that preemptive "pop" or feeling of increased pressure in my ear spaces which would allow me to go deeper with no pain. My instructors have assured me that this is normal, but I disagree, I have seen many other new divers just go down to depth with no problem pinching and blowing all the way down. It is quite frustrating.

Yea I have tried all of that. I have never actually felt like I have equalized. All I have ever done is reactively alleviate pressure by swallowing a bunch and moving my head/jaw. I have never been able to get that preemptive "pop" or feeling of increased pressure in my ear spaces which would allow me to go deeper with no pain. My instructors have assured me that this is normal, but I disagree, I have seen many other new divers just go down to depth with no problem pinching and blowing all the way down. It is quite frustrating.

You might to talk to DAN to see if they can refer you to an ENT doctor in your local area who is familiar with diving. He can check Eustachian tube problems etc.

Twenty to one, it isn't your eustachian tubes, it's your methodology. (no offense). Our equalizing system is evolved to compensate for the tiny adjustments over long time periods that we experience in our daily, land based lives.

Things happen 1,000 times faster in the water and most new divers get themselves too far behind the curve before they start to equalize. By way of comparison, think of how often you equalize during an aircraft take off or descent. That 20 minute 8,000 foot descent is equivelent to diving to 8 feet.

When experienced divers say clear early and often, they mean early and often. If you wait until there's water pressure on your neck squeezing on your tiny, narrow eustachian tubes, you'll be fighting a losing battle for the rest of your descent.

Find a way of equalizing (as in creating that ear pop sensation) that works for you on land; swallowing, chewing, working your lower jaw, stretching your neck, etc. and do it often, while descending more slowly. If you need extra effort, you're already too deep and should come back up a few feet and equalize before continuing the descent. Save the valsalva maneuver only as plan B and use it sparingly and gently.

If you have access to a pool, dive it and practice until it's second nature. Your ears will thank you. dF

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will definitely try them out.

I also just found this video which really helped me understand how to pressurize my ears and offered some new techniques for me to try. After watching this video I was really able to feel my ear spaces become pressurized, which is something I have never experienced before.

Hopefully now I will be able to descend with no problems. I would recommend this video to any new diver regardless of if they have problems equalizing or not. It does a great job of showing you the mechanics of pressurization and how to properly perform pressurization techniques.

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

As for clearing ears go, alot of new divers never used their sinus passages (Eustachian tubes) so the new useage inflames them to they are used on a regular bases. So this might really be a problem and even cause dizziness.

Remember you have to clear early and often more so in the first 30 ft. If you feel pain it's to late ... you have to go up alittle before going down again.

Sudafed normally will keep you clear enough to get a few dives in. If you take enough. But you really have to hydrate alot.

The bleeding part to me says sinus but ... we are not MD's and even MD's might not be able to help you because they don't know about the pressure effects. It's best to call DAN and ask them for a diving doc close and see them.

About Doc's Pro Ear Plugs. I've heard good things about them. (they are vented as to allow use while diving.) But these are mostly to prevent water entering the ear causing infections such as swim ear.

If you have ear problems from water entry look at Doc's and then there is the ProEar 2000.
Swimming Ear Protection Diving Masks ProEar 2000
Hope this was alittle useful to you.

Recently, on a three dive day, no problems on dive one. A little equalization problem on the second dive. I couldn't get the right ear to equalize on dive three and blew too hard. Came up with blood in the bridge of the mask and stuffed up ringing ears. I saw my ENT the next morning and she said I had blood behind both tympanic membranes (eardrums). She prescribed MethylPREDNIsolone, a steroid for the immediate problem.

Her advice for my future diving was to use Sudafed the day before the dive and the morning of diving and more importantly, she recommended I keep a spray bottle of Nasonex or Afrin or something similar and squirt my nose constantly before dives, after dives, during SI's, basically any time I had the chance.

She of course also directed to equalize early and often. In my case, if I don't equalize until I start to feel the pressure, it's way too late.

Nasonex is ok for chronic use, but remember that from a standing start, it takes 2 weeks of continuous (that is, as directed) use before the effects maximize. If you're gonna use topical steroids, that's perfectly fine, but they are no replacement for decongestants if you haven't used them for the two weeks or so necessary to get a response. And remember, if the decongestant poops out during a dive, you can get a reverse block.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom