Problem Hair - Long and Lots!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamboo products are sustainable and naturally moisture-wicking. The bamboo bandanna I am wearing feels very silky (unlike regular cotton), so it is really comfortable to wear. Even with hair your length it can get in the way and it is inevitable that hair will get ripped out by your mask strap. I can take my mask off without any pain and then I use the bandanna to wipe the snot off of my face after my dive :) I own the DiverChix brand, it is one of the products I use regulary. I have very long hair, and I have tried braiding my hair as well. Problem is, the shorter hair still gets tangled and in my way. These bandannas work perfectly for me. I have tried regular cotton bandannas, but they slip easily and feel rough after getting salt water on them. Just an idea...like I said, my profile photo shows me wearing one. As you can see, it protects my hair completely. I actually have a long braid behind me, and the sides of my head are protected from my hair getting tangled. As far as wearing one under my dry suit hood, it works the same. It keeps my hair contained, so when I put my mask on, my hair doesn't need to be tucked away like I would normally have had to deal with.

I have braided and also worn a diving lycra head bandanna. I found the bandana to be a pain and generally just stuff it in the hood now when I need to.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. My first dive was "interesting" to say the least. The dive itself was uneventful, however I'm sure the donning and especially the removing of drysuit proved to be great entertainment for all those around. I tried to fine tune things further the second time I tried it. ie. 2 braids instead of 1, bandana AND buff. It was an improvement, however, I still ended up asking my boyfriend to cut me out of my neck seal. I'm intending on replacing it with a rubber one and hopefully that will be better. At the moment it's a neoprene one. I know that neck seals are supposed to be tight, but when your vision is starting to black out, I think that's a bit tooooo tight... The main thing is, I haven't given up yet! I will prevail! I refuse to get beaten by a mere suit!

Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. My first dive was "interesting" to say the least. The dive itself was uneventful, however I'm sure the donning and especially the removing of drysuit proved to be great entertainment for all those around. I tried to fine tune things further the second time I tried it. ie. 2 braids instead of 1, bandana AND buff. It was an improvement, however, I still ended up asking my boyfriend to cut me out of my neck seal. I'm intending on replacing it with a rubber one and hopefully that will be better. At the moment it's a neoprene one. I know that neck seals are supposed to be tight, but when your vision is starting to black out, I think that's a bit tooooo tight... The main thing is, I haven't given up yet! I will prevail! I refuse to get beaten by a mere suit!

Glad to hear it! It does get easier. I just cut 13" inch last week after ten years of attempting to manage it. If you are doing a few dives of diving I always recommend no shampoo as it strips the natural oils of your hair. I put regular conditioner in my hair. Brush it and plait it. Then at regular intervals, every two inches add another hair tie. I then like to pull out personal lubricant, home brand or KY works great! :) I put this onto the neck seal of the drysuit and around my neck, lastly bandana, or plastic bag (I always hang it to dry and forget it next day) goes around head and then rebirth time, pull on the drysuit.

Buddy help is probably the most important step, as everyone says, pull out those trapped wispy hairs.

Thanks DiverChix! The bamboo bandana sounds really great. Researching right now!

hi there

I'm asian and got a long thick layered hair as well.
I find it out that one braid by side and keep the rest inside my wetsuit is work really well for me..
but I tie my hair with elastic band before start to do the braid.. much more easier!

hope it help.. =)

I bought a skull cap sold at a Harley dealership - I don't know why I bought it initially - and it works GREAT to get my hair out of the way for a good mask seal AND to keep all those hairs by my temples from tangling up in my snorkel. I was getting really irritated with all the broken hair from my snorkel! I don't have long hair (to my shoulders) and it's very fine - which provides even more motivation to keep every hair I have unbroken and firmly attached to my head. Btw, it also works very well when I use a hood. Here's a pic of the skull cap.

xl-12379-SK76830.jpg

For hair care just need to use product and conditioner. When my hair was long i had to take deep care but i also faced problem such as damaged hair, hair fall. So i just cut short and short style hair is easy to take care .

One or two braids, but make sure you tie them well. My hair is really soft so it is hard to keep it together under water unless it's braided really tight.

i have long hair that is very curly and is not down to my waist anymore, but still goes to about mid back. i have tried several methods of taming "the beast," as i call it. the one that seems to work the best (for me, anyway) is to first make a small pony tail close the scalp near the temple on each side. then i french braid it. then i put another elastic at the junction of the hair/neck, and it sounds like others do similar. finally, i wear a very lightweight hood to try to keep stray hairs out of my mask. i fold the braided hair under the hood. in between dives i have a headband that i put on to keep the stray hairs from getting too frizzed or i look like a curly version of those ugly troll thingys. i have tried two braids but don't find it any better for me and is more work. i don't like a bun because it doesn't let my mask sit where i want it.

My sisters(3) and I all have long hair. I french braid their hair and my as well when we dive wet or dry. One sister prefers 2 braids while I am fine with one. When I dive dry I use a bio seal around my neck to prevent my neck getting cut from the latex seal but it also helps great seal off where I cant get the little hairs out. I let the rest of by braid hang out of my hood and over my shoulder granted my hair is only about half way down my back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom