Problem with Paddle Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If i wanted to move forward in the water i would try to move my legs forward to kick, but (its kind of hard to describe) i couldn't. ... If i was swimming horizontally in the water no matter how i tried to kick it was near impossible to get my legs to go under my body line.
I will echo a sentiment already expressed by several posters. From your written description, it appears that the issue may well be technique, rather than equipment. Your description of how you were attempting to kick is not altogether consistent with proper finning technique. But, I readily acknowledge that a picture - an instructor in the water with you, watching your kicking motion - is worth a thousand words of text description, and armchair response, in a SB post. Ideally, your LDS would have suggested just that - 'Before you buy another sets of fins, and spend more money, let's get you in the water with an instructor and see what is going on.'

Certain fins are heavier than others. Certain paddle fins are stiffer. They may require a period of adjustment before some divers are completely comfortable with them. And, certain other fins are more flexible. For example, I use (heavier, stiffer) Jetfins when diving dry, with doubles, in heavy current. But, I enjoy (lighter, more flexible) Mares Quattros for diving wet, single tank, no current, relaxed recreational diving. In a strong current I have had the Quattros bend back 180 degrees. They simply are not stiff enough for that environment. Yet, they are terrific fins.
At first i thought maybe it was a user error, but ive been riding horses for almost 10 years so i use my legs all the time and have decent muscles there.
It does not appear from your description that leg strength is a likely cause, if you have a good seat and ride regularly your legs and groin muscles should be toned. But, that does not necessarily rule out 'user error' in terms of technique. Many, relatively newer divers, do not start out with effective, efficient finning technique, even if they have been swimming for a while. It is incumbent upon the instructor to help divers understand what is appropriate technique, and what is inefficient.
When i told my LDS about it, the guy said he had never heard anyone say this before, but he got me to upgrade to Split fins.
At the risk of showing a personal bias, I don't usually associate the words 'upgrade' and 'split fins' in any meaningful way.

As said before its all in the technique. My wife uses the Kinetix fins and has no problems at all. She even passed Cavern with them. Her only complaint is that frog kicking is difficult and lacks power. This is because they are no where near as stiff as SP Jets/Slipstreams etc. She did try the Twin Jets because they were suggested to her by our LDS and she did not like them at all. I personally own a set of Twin Jets. They were my first set of fins. I loved them and even learned to frog kick in them (yes, it is possible, but they don't work well for it). However, once I tried paddles (Jetfins) they have been relegated to sit in my closet as loaners. To me, they lack power and control. My advice as having experience with both fins, by personal experience or direct witness, is see if the shop will refund your money and give you the Kinetix back. You're in a bit of a bad spot at the moment. You're really not going to know who to listen to and no one has shown you how to see for yourself. Good luck and after you work this out I hope you enjoy diving as much as the rest of us on the board. It's a load of fun.

update:

yesterday I went to Hudson Grotto with my new split fins. They were much easier to swim with. I also realized how much air stayed in my diving boots, and i got that out right at the beginning, so that might have helped too.

thanks for all the replies

Ponyfeathers

update:

yesterday I went to Hudson Grotto with my new split fins. They were much easier to swim with. I also realized how much air stayed in my diving boots, and i got that out right at the beginning, so that might have helped too.

thanks for all the replies

Ponyfeathers

Based upon your assertion that your split fins are easier to kick, I would posit that you should swim more. Once you develop your legs for swimming (not in terms of strength, but in terms of technique), you will be able to properly drive a pair of paddle fins. I would recommend grabbing a lifeguard or swim instructor and have them correct your swimming form without using fins. Then, when you use fins, you will be efficient. If your equipment is making you a better diver, than it is hiding a problem in your ability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom