Problems equalizing my ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did some snorkeling yesterday at a "local" river that was only around 10-15 ft deep. The problem was when I would go to the bottom, my I could feel pressure on my ears and also some pain. I tried everything to get them to equalize and they just wouldnt, maybe im doing something wrong, we were also at about 2000-3000 ft in elevation and my ears were popping on the way up, dont know if that has to do with anything. My cert course starts next week and im getting worried that I wont be able to do it because of this. Anyone got any suggustings?

Are you congested at all? Do you equalize as soon as you hit the water? I keep my hand on my nose and equalize the entire way down.

Brandon Belew:
Are you congested at all? Do you equalize as soon as you hit the water? I keep my hand on my nose and equalize the entire way down.

Not congested at all, when I first went down I didnt try to equalize until I was just under water (maybe 1-2 ft) and I couldnt do it. I tried again out of the water and still nothing.

It can certainly happen that, because of allergies or viral infections, you cannot move enough air through your Eustachian canals to equalize your middle ear. But a lot of the time, it's a technique issue. If you wait too long to equalize, you can't do it -- Thus the diving adage to equalize "early and often".

You might find THIS video educational. It is excellent (warning -- it's also very long).

I was given the following advice and the reasoning for it many years ago by my original Course Director. I don't know how true or not it is medically, but it makes sense and since beginning to follow his advice, I've never once had a problem clearing my ears. I come from the Pacific NW originally, worked outdoors in the weather and coached High School Ski racing. My sinus's thought having a cold was a normal way of life!

I'm told your eustachian tube in your ear that is the culprit for many of our ear clearing issues is tissue just as the muscles in your legs and such are tissue. You'd not get up from your desk and run 100 yard sprint without stretching first without expecting some sort of problem. The same holds true for your Eustachian Tube.

He told me to get into the habit of performing a Valsalva about every 30-60 minutes throughout the entire day at least a day in advance of a dive. Over the years I've gotten into the habit of doing them throughout the day without even realising I do them. According to him it gets your ear canal used to being "stretched" and keeps it open thus allowing you to "blow pressure" into it and keep it equalized.

How true, medically speaking, all that is I don't really know but as I said, it's worked well for me for going on 20 years now. Quite possibly one of the best pieces of scuba advice I've ever gotten!

You might find THIS video educational. It is excellent (warning -- it's also very long).[/quote]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm one of those for whom " clearing " was so difficult that I had to abort my final OW cert dive, with my wife / fellow student / buddy having certed that day !
Two weeks later, I re-took the dive ; in desperation, using both Afrin and Sudafed,
I only marginally could equalize. For someone who took the OW course with an eventual goal of diving wrecks, not clearing was an obstacle I feared I could not reconcile.
At your posting's recommendation a month or two ago, I watched the video.
The " Adam's apple " technique worked perfectly for me the very first time - and every time I used it ! I was overjoyed !
Last weekend, we enjoyed 4 dives in 55 degree water without any equalization issues. That information made the difference between an annual tropical vacation - only ( if ever ) diver and and an every-week one ! Thank you for sharing it ! !

- Rusty

Generally it is easier to equalize on scuba. Your just not doing right for one thing and unfortuantely, some people do not have the ears for diving.

I imagine that you will be fine. You should equalize your ears several times per day to get the technique down and improve the "passageway." Like muscles, don't use them, then loose them.

N

There's several things you could do, some starting now, that will make clearing your ears a "non-event" come dive time. I suffered many ear issues as a new diver, and had to learn several techniques to overcome them.

As said earlier, start to practice clearing now. Not only will you get conditioned to this, but you'll learn a whole lot about how to do it easiest.

Next, do your first clear just before your head drops below the water. It's strange, but this really makes a difference.

Don't clench the regulator with your teeth - it isn't going anywhere. Tightened neck muscles can restrict your ability to clear.

During the dive, especially early on, "blow" your nose. Press a finger on ONE side only, and blow out anything in there. Then repeat on the other side. I find this particulary helpful on cold dives, since the temp seems to cause my sinuses to act up.

NOTE: When you're doing the clearing, it is always safer to not squeeze the nose completely shut. If you do you may rupture the round window. By leaving a "safety valve" you can let excess pressure escape. Besides, if you had to blow that hard, you probably needed to ascend first anyway.

And if these and all of the tricks you learn during the class don't do it, you may have to call a dive. I've done it many times over the years. Better to hold off and dive tomorrow than to dive today for the last time.

Hope this helps,

Steve
PADI Course Director

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom