Progression of Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have my Rescue cert, and I'm looking to get into Technical Wreck Diving. My question is, what are the steps. Some places say that you need a PADI or NAUI basic wreck certification before you can get a technical (TDI) wreck certification? Is that correct. Also, PADI/NAUI wreck certification only allows you to explore areas that are lit by ambient light, correct?

Also: I'm going to be in Bermuda this summer and would like to really get into technical wreck diving, but 1) I've never done any technical diving and 2) I can't find any technical diving certifications in Bermuda.

Thanks for your help.

NAUI has 2 Wreck Penetration courses, besides the external survey course, that are under the NAUI Tec umbrella. These courses can only be taught by NAUI Tec Instructors that have met the specific course requirements, so not every NAUI Instructor can teach Wreck Penetration.

Prerequisites for NAUI Wreck Penetration:

Minimum age 18
EANx Diver
50 logged dives

I would also recommend NAUI Intro to Tech so that you are up to date on the NAUI Tec Equipment Config (NTEC) and the NAUI Tec Skills check off list. You can also get these in a NAUI Tec EANx if that better suits your needs and requirements.

The NAUI Tec Wreck Penetration class is for deeper dives, in excess of 130fsw.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

www.sditdi.com will answer the basic question of progression. you will find there are a few caveats, like you may want to dive in doubles, and you may need a doubles course first, or you may want to use a dry suit, and that is another course.
The basic Padi Wreck cert is a good start if taught by a good instructor. It will certify and teach you to dive in a wreck within 130 linear feet from the surface and within the cavern (light) Zone. so simple wrecks.
To go much further you need to have redundant systems and some relatively extensive training in line drills, silt out procedures, lost gas, no mask, etc.
Oh ya and it aint cheep.

Although it may not be required...

You need to have a minimum number of "basic" wreck penetrations in the daylight zone before progressing to dives beyond the daylight zone with deco as well. "technical wreck" is serious stuff, build your experience slowly & conservatively.

First, take the time to decide how much technical diving you really want to do. Set down some goals and see what it will take to get there. It can really be a lot of work, and it can cost a lot of money if you go beyond the basics. Make sure you are ready to make the investment in time and money it will take to get to where you want to go before you start down that path.

Why not think a moment and describe those goals here, and people will be able to give you more specific and more helpful advice.

You don't need a PADI wreck certification to go on to technical wreck diving. But it is an awfully good idea to take an introductory technical class like Intro to Tech (various agencies teach this) or GUE Fundamentals, to get comfortable in double tanks and to understand the difference in standards in technical training as compared with usual recreational classes.

Technical diving is something in and of itself, usually defined as going deeper than recreational limits or staying beyond NDLs, and requiring staged decompression. Wreck penetration is another thing, requiring additional, specialized training in overhead environments. They are often completely separate classes.

Hi, I have my Rescue cert, and I'm looking to get into Technical Wreck Diving. My question is, what are the steps. Some places say that you need a PADI or NAUI basic wreck certification before you can get a technical (TDI) wreck certification? Is that correct. Also, PADI/NAUI wreck certification only allows you to explore areas that are lit by ambient light, correct?

Also: I'm going to be in Bermuda this summer and would like to really get into technical wreck diving, but 1) I've never done any technical diving and 2) I can't find any technical diving certifications in Bermuda.

Thanks for your help.

First off ... NAUI, PADI and TDI are completely separate and competing organizations. I won't speak for PADI, as I own no PADI certifications. But you can most certainly take NAUI classes that will get you exploring the inside of the wreck.

But to answer your question ... it isn't the progression of certifications you should be thinking about, it's the progression of skills and mindset. Going into any overhead environment requires a different approach to dive planning and execution than you will have been exposed to in your recreational classes. Potential risks go way up when you enter any environment where a direct ascent to the surface isn't an option, and you need to be adequately prepared ... mentally as well as physically ... to deal with anything that can go wrong without having to consider a surface option (because it won't BE an option).

My recommendation would be to get some progressively more aggressive recreational dives under your belt. Learn a bit about what task loading does to your buoyancy and awareness ... because entering a ship will challenge both of those skills at a time when you'll need them more than ever. Get familiar with redundant gear ... at a minimum you'll want some kind of a pony setup to enter a wreck, and that's just for the "baby" wrecks. If you want to get into this seriously, you should become familiar with diving doubles and/or side-mount.

And get prepared to spend more money on gear and trips ... the more "technical" your dives become, the more money it costs to do them. As an example, the dive I'm doing tomorrow ... on a wreck in Puget Sound ... is costing me about $130 just in fills, plus the cost of the boat to get me out there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hopefully not to sidetrack this thread too much :

Are wreck certifications "required" in the same way that cave certifications are? Do boat captains ask to see a card before going to a specific wreck?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom