progression to instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am attempting to determine my path to instructor. I am currently a Padi rescue diver and have plans to do both the instructor and tech courses. My ultimate goal would be to be able to teach Tech (after much experience of course).

should I continue on the Padi progression to instructor then take the Tech set through trimix and then is it possible at that point to crossover and take the TDI Instructor course? or would it be to my advantage to start now with TDI Tech then take TDI DM -> Instructor? and skip the Padi line? I am about to sign up for DM either way and really would like advice on going either TDI or Padi since I will take the tech set either way.

I am attempting to determine my path to instructor. I am currently a Padi rescue diver and have plans to do both the instructor and tech courses. My ultimate goal would be to be able to teach Tech (after much experience of course).

should I continue on the Padi progression to instructor then take the Tech set through trimix and then is it possible at that point to crossover and take the TDI Instructor course? or would it be to my advantage to start now with TDI Tech then take TDI DM -> Instructor? and skip the Padi line? I am about to sign up for DM either way and really would like advice on going either TDI or Padi since I will take the tech set either way.

Obviously my opinion is going to be biased! :shocked2:

But if your goal is to teach for us (TDI) there are definite advantages to working up through SDI and entering the TDI instructor program from SDI leadership. Send me a pm with an email address and I will have some things sent to you.

Another option would be to take the PADI Instructor and, then, DSAT Tech programme. If you wanted TDI tech also, I am sure that there would be a cross-over at that level (Steve can probably answer that).

Another option would be to take the PADI Instructor and, then, DSAT Tech programme. If you wanted TDI tech also, I am sure that there would be a cross-over at that level (Steve can probably answer that).

To cross over the other way to DSAT, you need to be a TDI Extended Range instructor.... but I'm unsure of the other way around.

I took a long, hard look at the DSAT syllabus and at the end of the day it's very restrictive, and a lot of the course standards make no sense at all. I chose TDI - as well as being better courses, the market penetration in technical diving is much great with TDI.

For what it's worth, the DSAT curriculum is also up for grabs at the moment - as I understand it, Tec Deep is potentially going to be split into two courses but there's a lot of discussion and indecision about it at PADI/DSAT. Maybe in about 5 years it may be stable enough to consider....

For the OP, if you're sole intention is to teach tech - go the SDI route before TDI. The familiarity of standards, process and procedures will just make it a lot easier to migrate your teaching into TDI. If you're planning to teach recreational scuba after qualifying as a tech instructor, the SDI vs. NAUI vs. PADI decision will probably be a lot harder. Take a good look at the standards and level of support offered by each, and choose what will work for you.

My underlying goals are #1 personal to be an excellent Wreck diver and dive many wrecks, and #2 to own my own charter business and teach whatever the customers want. My primary goal is to be able to afford to travel the world diving wrecks. I was a USMC Platoon SGT. and loved instructing my squads, I taught Swimming and loved that, I think Scuba instruction will be a natural and I am looking forward to it, I have about 3 years to get the certs and experience before the kids are out of the house and I am free to explore the world. I do not want to take too many redundant courses and TDI/SDI looks to be the path, I just need more info.

Email communications opened with OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom