Proofing a new dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've found a few springs near my house that I'm considering for dive sites. They are all too small for boat traffic, which is a plus. Right now I'm planning on snorkeling to get a sense of the visibility. Not quite sure how to proceed safely from there. The biggest threats that I've identified are a couple water snakes and some stray fishing tackle. Hopefully the owner of one of the LDSs will let me use his quarry which is only 17 miles away, but if not, I'd like to have a place where I can dive after work, if for nothing more than to practice some skills.

Are these artesian springs or what? Can you see the water source, without diving beyond your limits?

I've found a few springs near my house that I'm considering for dive sites. They are all too small for boat traffic, which is a plus. Right now I'm planning on snorkeling to get a sense of the visibility. Not quite sure how to proceed safely from there.

Why not dive it? The best way to find future dive site is to dive it. Its its rubbish then don't dive it again.

My buddy has never proofed a dive site before either. I have no idea the source of the springs. From what I can tell, the water source was dammed and a body formed. There is a larger one close by that is 60 feet deep. Knowing NC, it could be anywhere from 10 to 60 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom