Proper DIR techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_cooper

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have only been diving for a short time but after surfing the DIR and GUE sites I can definetly see many of the benefits to taking a DIR-F class. What I am wondering is it possible to get the manual and workbooks now so I can start to convert to DIR? This way I will not have to try to break old habits after I have gotten more experience in the sport.

ron_cooper:
I have only been diving for a short time but after surfing the DIR and GUE sites I can definetly see many of the benefits to taking a DIR-F class. What I am wondering is it possible to get the manual and workbooks now so I can start to convert to DIR? This way I will not have to try to break old habits after I have gotten more experience in the sport.

the sooner the better... Less to unlearn

Global Underwater Explorers

Order the student pack.... The Fundamentals of Doing-it-right and the workbook

~welcome to the dark side...

And Dan MacKey's book will be for sure helpfull in choosing right equipment.

Tollie:
As others will no doubt tell you reading about it and learning are different things.

Weird, as a school teacher, we have students learn stuff by reading all the time....

Let me add that I'm not suggesting someone not take the class, I'm just suggesting that the thought of not being able to learn by reading is BS. Maybe better written materials are needed, but learning can certainly be accomplished by reading.

Jason B:
Weird, as a school teacher, we have students learn stuff by reading all the time....
That works better for some subjects than others. As my young son can tell you, subjects like math are tailormade for "book learning" while other activities like swimming and riding a bike require you to go out and do it. :)

Back on topic, I find JJ's book a little light on the details but its a great overview. I like Dan's book and have been using that as a guide as I buy equipment for my fundamentals class.

My understanding is that the fundamentals class will be mostly about in-water skills (trim, weighting, buoyancy, anti-silt kicks, air sharing drills buddy awareness). I'll let you know for sure once I do the class. :D

Jason B:

Let me add that I'm not suggesting someone not take the class, I'm just suggesting that the thought of not being able to learn by reading is BS. Maybe better written materials are needed, but learning can certainly be accomplished by reading.
Hi,
I agree w/you Jason, that some learning will be accomplished by reading. But in many cases the written word cannot do the material the justice it deserves and the message becomes distorted.
As an instructor for GUE that has been involved w/at least 20+ of these courses from it's early inception as a workshop, I can say from experience that it is extremely rare that what is read and interpretted by the students via written word is the exact same message regarding the same material given in the class by the Instructor. Also, this misintepretation sometimes leads the prospective student down a path of learning material which actaully hinders the students progress in the class. IOW, as many folks have said already, don't go training for the class and ingraining an incorrect technique/practice that will make learning more difficult in the course.
Without the 'hands on' aid of the Instructor and the interpretation and feedback from the Instructor, the material's real message can sometimes be difficult to process accurately. All of this taken into consideration, I think you'll see that the written material and DVD's available from GUE do a good job of giving the info that will help the students in the courses by giving them a background/foundation to start the real learning. So, by all means, do start reading before the class is taken. But I think Tollie was speaking from experience when he said that reading and learning are two different things and that is what I'm trying to explain. At least this was my experience when I first began reading the ramblings on the Net back in the mid 90's concerning DIR. The written word really does not convey the whole picture well and can be misleading at times.
This is also points to why many folks contend that the people "labelling" themselves "DIR" that have never taken a course or trained w/GUE or the WKPP divers, but only read the Net material or (now) maybe a book, are more than likely/usually missing large portions of the "DIR" philosophy in thier actual diving.
It's more than equipment, more than "no deep air", more than "don't dive w/unsafe divers"....but to try to reduce the philosophy to words is really doing it an injustice.
This of course, is JMHO.....:)

Dive safe!

Best Regards,
brando

ron_cooper:
Hi Ron,
What I have seen in classes that seems to most often be the biggest benefit to folks interested in DIR and aspiring to better thier diving this way is that they hook up w/some local folks that have already been through GUE training (and haven't distorted the material) and begin diving and practicing w/them on a regular basis. The DIRF students that have gone this route seem to be the most prepared and bring a lot to the table at the actual class. This ends up benefitting everyone in the course. They usually have a bit more in depth questions which, when discussed in class, really enlighten all of the students. Plus the in water material gleaned from just diving with the GUE trained folks will help tremendously in the course. Combine this w/the manuals and DVD's available on the GUE website and I think you'll be off to a good start. The Quest list and the Gavin Scooter list also has some good info regarding DIR.
Good luck and if you have more questions, myself or Mike Kane (MHK) are always available off list to help.

Best Regards,
brando

As Brandon points out reading about diving and actually learning to dive are not the same thing. For example, in GUE dive instruction there is a strong emphasis on mastering the motor skills associated with buoyancy and trim. Students get many opportunities to drill controlled ascent and decent while maintaining team awareness. The drill repetition aspect is stronger in GUE than in other beginning dive programs. One other feature of GUE instruction is the use of video. I don’t believe that any other agency makes routine use of this tool. The camera doesn’t lie. The feedback you get from the video debrief really helps you to understand the areas that you need to work on during subsequent training dives. You get to see in real time where you are and where the bar actually is.

Neither the in water drill and repetition or video feedback is available to you as a reader.

Of course there is much more and as a holistic system cognitive knowledge is necessary but insufficient in actually diving in the dir manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom