Proper hose management when using pony bottles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless one mounts a can light there, removing the right hip D ring only limits ones possibilities while accomplishing little else. If one slings a pony on the left, that particular D ring becomes quite handy.

It has been several months since this thread was active and I am bringing it from the dead with an update. After some very serious soul searching here is what came of all of this:

Pony bottle will be mounted upside down. It will only have 1 hose coming out of it. That hose has been replaced with a longer hose. That hose will be looped like a U against the pony and will be held with a bungee cord. With a quick pull hose will expand allowing me to breathe off it. Computer was recycled into 2nd scuba setup that I built. Except for computers I now have 2 identical sets of scuba equipment which is awesome because nothing has to be learned twice.

I'm really sorry that you got brutalized by so many folks here... :depressed:

Watch the movie "Blackhawk down" and you'll get a better appreciation for gearing up ... at the beginning, the veteran commandos are saying to a new guy "why are you carrying water? This is a 15 minute operation" ... "why are you wearing body armor on your back? that's just dead weight." etc. etc. etc... and those decisions end up getting everyone killed.

I don't think your setup is unreasonable by any stretch.

Good luck to you and may your bubbles always go up! :)

I don't think your setup is unreasonable by any stretch.

And you're basing this assessment on... what?

In diving we plan for one failure. If, for some reason, a diver should run low/out of gas (one failure) they then turn to their redundant source; either a competent buddy or reserve cylinder. Then they end the dive. Yarik has already said he has poor buddy skills. Trying to fix that by adding two reserve cylinders means he is planning to run low/out of gas, switch to reserve and then.. continue the dive?

You may at some point see why this configuration would promote a poor and potentially dangerous diving practice.

Welcome to Advanced Diving. Here, practices are challenged to see if they actually stand up to the task.

And you're basing this assessment on... what?

Yarik has already said he has poor buddy skills. Trying to fix that by adding two reserve cylinders means he is planning to run low/out of gas, switch to reserve and then.. continue the dive?

You may at some point see why this configuration would promote a poor and potentially dangerous diving practice.

Really? I don't see how being responsible and conscientious enough to add a totally redundant air source and streamlining your equipment can be construed to be a poor or dangerous practice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being self sufficient and able to handle an emergency.

Yarik, I think you will be pleased with that set up. It is the same as mine. Also, I leave my pony valve on now, in stead of pressurizing the line and turning it off. If you accidentally depressurize the hose, you run the risk of water entering the second stage and then first stage... This happened to my brand new pony reg.

Perhaps you need to actually read the thread and what I wrote. I support adding a redundant air source (have done so since the very beginning) but not adding TWO redundant air sources. If you are going to quote me, get it right.

For your reference: Post 53, 8th paragraph, first sentence. The rest of the para goes on to describe his buddy skills and his thoughts on redundant redundancy.

DaleC you are THE FIRST person on these boards to whom, after all these years of not letting people get under my tough skin I am going to say the following:

How dare you! Apparently after reading 8 pages of this thread you were so concentrated on bashing my choice of spare air and pony bottle mounting that you completely neglected to read ALL THE OTHER RELEVANT TEXT.

I am a responsible safety conscious diver. I dive with my dive group half the time and find myself diving with random group of people when I travel. If there is one thing I have learned about "poor dive buddy skills" it is that I can never rely on someone EVER. Do you not think I surface with 1000 psi? I do! Do you not think I had to rescue divers? I did multiple times! Do you not think that if I had equipment failure I would proceed to surface? Apparently you don't but I do! Who in their right mind would have a critical equipment failure and proceed to dive afterwards? My equipment of redundancy helps to keep myself safe whether you want to acknowledge this or not. And here you are with your input accusing me of being a bad diver and being a bad dive buddy?! How dare you sir? It takes a giant pair to go out on a limb and accuse another diver you never met of something fallacious. I dive because I love diving. I film because I love filming. I have redundant air sources because they keep me safe if and when situation presents itself. Having had equipment failures in the past I would rather survive to tell the tale.

This is me with my setup. Yes I am not afraid to show my face. I want you to replay this video 19 times and figure out where I am "burdened" with equipment and how I have a "whole mess" of pointless equipment. Watch it and see how everything I have is streamlined, out of the way, accessible and is there FOR A REASON.
Skip to 8m 40s

[video=youtube_share;2uZjiwYwVys]http://youtu.be/2uZjiwYwVys?t=8m40s[/video]

Nice video! Looks like you got everything streamlined and squared away!

Attachments

• good diver.jpg
    good diver.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I want you to replay this video 19 times and figure out where I am "burdened" with equipment and how I have a "whole mess" of pointless equipment. Watch it and see how everything I have is streamlined, out of the way, accessible and is there FOR A REASON.
Skip to 8m 40s

9m08s... seen it. There's you struggling to get up the ladder with the weight. :wink:

I don't want to get embroiled in your spat...and I've not read the whole thread.. but what REASON do you have for dual redundant air sources?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom