"Proper" use of a reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is the proper way to use a wreck reel? I have been thinking about doing a dive with a local shop, and they require that you have a wreck reel. After you decend the anchor line, you are supposed to tie to the anchor line / chain, then go to the wreck and use your line to traverse the wreck.

This area has on average 10-15' vis so it is a limited vis dive with moderate current.

Comments, Suggestions...

I will not be penetrating the wreck, just checking out the outside.

You mean you have a bunch of divers tethered to the upline? Sounds like the potential for a real mess. I would take wreck class first and practice using the reel.

TheRedHead:
You mean you have a bunch of divers tethered to the upline? Sounds like the potential for a real mess. I would take wreck class first and practice using the reel.

I think you mean "reel" mess

doghouse:
What is the proper way to use a wreck reel? I have been thinking about doing a dive with a local shop, and they require that you have a wreck reel. After you decend the anchor line, you are supposed to tie to the anchor line / chain, then go to the wreck and use your line to traverse the wreck.

This area has on average 10-15' vis so it is a limited vis dive with moderate current.

Comments, Suggestions...

I will not be penetrating the wreck, just checking out the outside.
Ask them the rationale behind everyone having a reel, and where/how they envision people to use them when not penetrating.....?

Imagine tying off your reel to an anchor line, and then having the anchor slip and start dragging your reel (and the diver holding it) behind the drifting boat. It's much better IMHO to tie off to something very close to the anchor instead.

I can also imagine 6 lines crossed.......in several places.

Unless this is practice in using reels, it'd seem more useful for one diver to run a line to the wreck, everyone notices where it's tied in, then you can all be sure of getting back, following that line, "no more tangles, no more tears" (like the shampoo).

It would probably be a good idea to get someone with some experience with reels to give you some hands-on pointers.

Assuming the shop has a good reason for having everyone use reels, then having some actual practice time with a reel is important.

If you get a chance, I would be interested in knowing why they require a reel for non-penetration. Maybe you could ask them and let us know. That information might be helpful.

Normally, for penetration, tie-offs are designed to bring you back to open water. If you are not penetrating, merely swimming around the wreck, a reel would seem to be more of a hazard than a help.

Reels can be tricky and potentially dangerous in even moderate current. Add low vis to the equation and you will most likely spend the entire dive fighting with the reel and not really seeing the wreck.

Jeff

I use a reel on almost every dive. Here in the Greater Boston area the vis is pretty low 5'-15'), so I tie off the anchor so that I can find my way home. :)

I have been told that its lazy, I should practice my nav skills; probably true, but MAN does it take a load off of my mind knowing that I can find my way back, very relaxing.

We only use ONE real, not one per diver.

As for the "don't tie to the anchor, what if it drags?". I am guilty of tying to the anchor. We dive the anchor first to make sure that its set, so dragging is very unlikely, also, its my boat, so if that sucker drags, take me with, I want to know where my boat is going. :) If there is an emergency and they weigh anchor while we are down, I will let the reel go and they will find it when they get the anchor up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom