Pros and cons of various compasses ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There is a bewildering array of diving compasses currently on the market.

What are the pros and cons of the most recommend models ?

A compass is a compass.

The real difference is in how you mount it - wrist, back of hand (how I do it), retractor...

A compass is a compass.

So I might as well buy any compass in a sports and outdoor goods store ?

So I might as well buy any compass in a sports and outdoor goods store ?

No. You need a diving one. But tying yourself into knots about pros and cons of various diving ones is unnecessary. Get whichever model floats your boat from DGX and be done with it.

I prefer a wrist mount on the left wrist.

Forget all the gimmicky compasses. Expensive ones mounted to slates, on retractors, doofers and gizmos... all just waiting to get entangled, broken, lost...

Wrist mount basic compass. Pick your brand... so long as it's an actual diving compass. Easy to train, easy to maintain, won't lose it. cheap to replace.

There are northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere ones. And some can accept more “tilt” and the reading will still be accurate. I also prefer wrist mounted ones with bungee. Other than that, there’s not much else to it.

What everyone said. Most scuba compasses you find on the market are 1 of 4 types:
Sherwood Brand
Suunto Brand
Scubapro Brand
Off-brand (DGX, PiranhaMFG, Trident, A-Plus Marine)
Off-brand is literally all the same compass module from the same source, just with different mounts. All 4 types work the same.

The biggest difference for practically is compasses with the 30degree super tilt feature, like Sherwood, Suunto, & DGX Deluxe Pro compass.
In practical use though, you should always try to hold the compass flat, so you're never really utilizing the tilt feature to the full potential.

All these compasses are called In-direct Reading Compass outside the scuba industry.
Some very choice divers get a Direct Reading Compass pictured below. Notice the lack of degree markings on the compass card & how the degrees increase by reading counter-clockwise?

Those take a different method to use for navigation. Pretty much the way you use a land-navigation compass.
Direct Reading isn't scuba industry standard, so avoid that initially, simply because if you ask most divers for advice on navigation, you're going to get the method used with our standard In-direct Reading Compass.
And in fact, most of us instructors don't know how to navigate with Direct Reading.....

160269-a_ikelite-pro-compass-scuba-gauge.jpg

I have a computer with a compass. I never use that feature because it is entirely too sensitive and also non intuitive. I got a DGX manual/analog compass. DGX Deluxe Pro Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

I chose this model because of the very large side window. For me, the side window is the most intuitive and easy way to navigate. Having a very large one makes it even easier.

There is a bewildering array of diving compasses currently on the market.

What are the pros and cons of the most recommend models ?

There is a big difference in compasses. Some have to be held nearly flat at all times to work and others can handle as much as a 30 degree tilt and still work.

The downside is that a compass that can handle a 30 degree tilt will also be a decent amount taller.

The popular Suunto SK7 and SK8 can handle a 30 degree tilt, I believe. As can the less expensive DGX Deluxe Pro.

Personally, I prefer lower profile and am willing to compromise a bit on amount of tilt it can allow, so I use the DGX Tech Compass, which is even less expensive at $39. Like the more expensive ones, it also had a side window. But, it is only rated to handle 10 degrees of tilt.

DGX Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

For most stuff, however, I just use the electronic compass built into my Perdix and don't carry the physical compass at all.

Back
Top Bottom