Pros/cons of weight integrated BC vs weight belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
DUI Weight & Trim II

No hips required. Also great with my drysuit that makes my hips ambiguous. I actually hang it below my hips and that trims me out.

Pete

100% correct when diving a drysuit.

I dive a bag suit and require a large amount of weight (28 lbs in the harness, and that's with a SS plate).

When I was using a belt I had a number of dives where the stupid thing was only held on by my crotch strap (note: bag suits make you rather 'cylindrical' :wink: ).

I see more people with the DUI (and other weight harnesses) all the time and a number of times people have come up and asked me about mine, only to go out after and get one themselves.

The best part is that due to the hight adjustability of the harness it can really help you trim out.

:)

Just a quick hijaak,

Those of you having to wear the DUI harness with your drysuits, what undergarments and tanks are you wearing? Should I also assume you're in salt water? I just can't imagine needed any extra weight in what will be my drysuit configuration.

Thanks.

<on topic>

I really never had much issue with my weightbelt, so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. It was only 6 pounds, but I put it on, dove, came out. Never needed any adjustments or anything.

I was glad to be rid of it, because putting it on with cold hands was hard... I cut the belt too short. I rigged up a couple more weight belts that were longer after that initial problem.

PerroneFord:
Just a quick hijaak,

Those of you having to wear the DUI harness with your drysuits, what undergarments and tanks are you wearing? Should I also assume you're in salt water? I just can't imagine needed any extra weight in what will be my drysuit configuration.

Thanks.

Hijack continued:

I dive in salt water (cold & dense to boot) with a Bare nexgen and 200 weight underwear, below which I add an additional fleece and moisture wicking long sleeved top. Add some thick wool socks and I need a total of 34 lbs of weight (that's not counting the Turtles). All that is for a standard 80.

Usually, this is the part where people start going "why do you need so much weight" etc etc. The reason is simple, if I have any less I get cold during my stop as I need to let _all_ the air out of my suit, crushing my fleece layers and freezing my you-know-what's off. :)

Hope that helped.

Bjorn

Yea, that helped a lot actually. I've got several cold water dives coming next year and am trying to get an idea of what I'll be dealing with. I'm hoping to not need more than 10-12 pounds. My tank choices will be quite different from what you have listed. Probably in a pair of LP108s or LP 121s with an AL80 stage. Along with Argon for the suit.

Not sure if I am going to try the Weezle Extreme Plus, or the Pinnacle 600g undergarment. I'll have on underarmour cold gear as a base layer. We'll see how it does.

Perrone: If I'd had more money at the time, my tank choices would have been different as well :wink:

Back
Top Bottom