Pros Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Natural

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, since getting involved with diving I'v always wondered about rebreathers. Give me some pros and cons. From what my limited knowledge tells me, I can go way deeper, for longer with less risk but I have to be WAy more prepared and know my stuff.

Thanks for the links. I DEFINATELY want to pursue rebreathers now!!!

I can't think of a single reason you shouldn't make the move to a rebreather (except for cost). Even cost isn't a valid reason, we all know diving is expensive???

Cost isnt too much of an issue. I figure the benefits will justify the expenses. :D

I hope the following doesnt dissuade you from rebreather diving. It is based on my personal experiences. I am happy to say that I am now in therapy and have reduced my diving to 200 dives per year.

1) You will enjoy diving so much more that you will have little time for anything else because you will be diving every spare minute.
2) You will make enemies with your dive buddies because they will be jealous.
3) You will be forced to be rude to your existing dive buddies and blow them off because you will find noisy diving that scares everything away is not as much fun as you thought it was.
4) You may suffer from brain ache because you will learn a great deal about physics and physiology and find you can not stop thinking about it.
5) Your lover will leave you because you are never home any more...you are out diving.
6) You will be forced to sell your car to buy another rebreather just to keep your lover.
7) You will be berated on every dive boat you go on because you will always be the last person out of the water.
8) Your house will become extremely messy with even more dive books scattered everywhere.
9) You will live in constant fear that during one of your dives you will injure yourself when you bump your head on a big fish that didnt know you were alive.
10) You will squander your retirement and be forced into a life of poverty because one rebreather is never enough.

:pity_part

jkromelow:
I hope the following doesnt dissuade you from rebreather diving. It is based on my personal experiences. I am happy to say that I am now in therapy and have reduced my diving to 200 dives per year.

1) You will enjoy diving so much more that you will have little time for anything else because you will be diving every spare minute.
2) You will make enemies with your dive buddies because they will be jealous.
3) You will be forced to be rude to your existing dive buddies and blow them off because you will find noisy diving that scares everything away is not as much fun as you thought it was.
4) You may suffer from brain ache because you will learn a great deal about physics and physiology and find you can not stop thinking about it.
5) Your lover will leave you because you are never home any more...you are out diving.
6) You will be forced to sell your car to buy another rebreather just to keep your lover.
7) You will be berated on every dive boat you go on because you will always be the last person out of the water.
8) Your house will become extremely messy with even more dive books scattered everywhere.
9) You will live in constant fear that during one of your dives you will injure yourself when you bump your head on a big fish that didnt know you were alive.
10) You will squander your retirement and be forced into a life of poverty because one rebreather is never enough.

:pity_part

His is correct, simply put there is nothing better. I did have a woman leave me over my dive toys once, but what the hell I just bought another one!

Cheers

Ok that settles it. As soon as it gets too cold to dive, I'm taking the intro class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom