Proton Ice - humming sound on exhale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: The regs got a workout this weekend and the mystery noise went away as soon as it hit the water as you all suggested. Thanks!

PS - it is a very smooth breather and I liked the small volume (a cinch to clear).

I checked my older Mares Epos and it makes the same sound when you exhale out of water. Its never been anything but perfect underwater though.

I'm looking at getting a Proton Ice. It looks like people generally like them and the reviews sound terrific. It has features that I like. So far I've used an ancient Sherwood rental which I didn't like (plus, I know that first stage bleed is supposedly a good thing and normal and all, but it creeps me out because I feel like then I can't tell or hear if something actually IS leaking), and one other rental that was, I believe, an Oceanic, though I could be wrong, and that one was better, but not great.

I did get the humming on the Sherwood several times when I was testing it, but it didn't do it underwater. Really liked to purge on the surface swim, though. Grr.

Any ideas on whether it would be more recommendable to get the Metal or the Ice? Most of my diving is in cold water (Monterey), but can't see actual ice diving any time in the near future. How are the weights?

Ishie

Personally, I just couldn't see myself diving with a baby blue reg. LOL

Seriously I doubt you could tell the difference. Either reg will breathe beautifully. The only 'real' difference between them is the first stage. The Ice comes with the V32 while the Metal comes with a V16. Supposedly, the V32 delivers greater volume of air, but unless you're one of those breathing machines, my LDS advised me I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I love my Proton Metal, although mind you, having said all that, mine is hooked up to the V32....

I believe the proton Ice was designed by DONALD DUCK, hence the built in duck comunications unit.

I've got the ice & no-one has teased me about the color, YET!!! I love it, just because it says, "ice" it dosn't mean you can only use it under 32 degrees, it works great at all temps.

scubagirl15:
Personally, I just couldn't see myself diving with a baby blue reg. LOL

Seriously I doubt you could tell the difference. Either reg will breathe beautifully. The only 'real' difference between them is the first stage. The Ice comes with the V32 while the Metal comes with a V16. Supposedly, the V32 delivers greater volume of air, but unless you're one of those breathing machines, my LDS advised me I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I love my Proton Metal, although mind you, having said all that, mine is hooked up to the V32....

Although most wouldn't notice the breathing difference, the V32 has the better low-profile port orientation common to the Ruby and Abyss

I have a Mares Akros and it also honks on a dry exhale.
No surprises , Mares' slogan is "Just add Water". They mean it...

Back
Top Bottom