Becoming a reg tech at my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a terrible idea, as is anything that encroaches on Freedom Plate production!!!

Seriously: It sounds like an interesting learning opportunity, not just on regulators but to gain insight into the day to day operations of a dive shop. There's always a lot to learn about any business and you never know how something can change your life for the better.

I don’t know if this is the correct forum to post this, so mods if you need to move it please do.

So, I’ve become pretty good friends with the people at my LDS and I’ve helped them out with all sorts of things like wholesaling Freedom Plates to them, building tank cleaning tools for them, restoring various stuff, sharing knowledge, etc.
Their reg tech is retiring soon and they’ve suggested more than once that they are looking for someone and would like to hire me to fill the spot of reg tech in the shop.
I work on my own stuff and have had all sorts of stuff apart, rebuilt stuff, restored stuff, etc.
I’m pretty mechanical, I was an auto body tech doing heavy hits, also doing collision related mechanical work, I’ve also done a lot of automotive mechanical work, so regs to me are not a big deal. I’m also very meticulous.
They are a Scubapro shop and also carry AL, and Oceanic. I’m guessing I would need to go through the seminars that those manufacturers have to be officially “certified” to work on the new stuff.
This would be one day a week, and I’m not really concerned about the pay, I have ulterior motives for wanting to do this.
Does anybody have any advice, feedback, comments? I’ve never worked in a shop on a production level. I’m sure there must be a certain pace you have to keep to get these thing done and out, and you have to be thorough at the same time.
This whole thing would be new to me.
I don’t really know if I want to do it yet but the prospect does sound intriguing.

Convince me either way.
Go For It ..That's just how I got started in the Biz. Fed up auto mechanic and was offered the same job ..but full time .. this was in the 80's and there was classes from the dealers and sometimes they come to you ...You can do it ..I ended up a burnt out boat captain after many years of all parts of the biz ...Divemaster/Mate Flunky was the best time for me ...

Attachments

• 20221127_133823.jpg
    20221127_133823.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 45
This would be one day a week, and I’m not really concerned about the pay, I have ulterior motives for wanting to do this.
So does the shop have ulterior motives, so pay should be important. Even if you enjoy doing something as a hobby, once it becomes employment, a non-trivial piece of that enjoyment goes away.

What are these motives? (if you haven't answered yet, I'm getting caught up) The reason I'm asking is there may be better ways to achieve those goals, depending on what those goals might be.

edit: There are lots of good responses here. For example, figuring out of the pay is per-regulator, any liability/insurance, what happens if you damage or a reg or it can't be repaired, what happens if a reg needs extra work, who pays for the tools, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom