Becoming a reg tech at my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the shop will foot the bill for the classes/certifications I say go for it.
Yes, @rsingler has an intensive online course I could recommend to anyone interested in regulator service-even those who already possess the certs.

The pace of working on regulators is entirely dependent upon the size of the shop.

The shop, where I worked as a kid, seldom had half a dozen regulators being worked on at any given time; and the guarantee to the customer, was about a week for an overhaul -- perhaps longer, in the event that some odd parts were required. Working on them was more often seasonal, with an increase in workload toward Summer.

A nice bit about regulator servicing, is that it is done in discreet steps (is sort of "meditative" -- relaxing, not some mawkish California navel-gazing crap), with some "fail-safes" that, say, different components should have some measurable freedom of movement as you go along; that internal components are always stacked in a particular fashion; or that some diaphragm should have some give to it, upon pressing down on the diaphragm center before any further assembly.

Provided that all goes well, the final tuning is very quick -- though we always sat the overhauled regulators on pressurized tanks, usually for hours, in the event that some IP issue presented itself.

The manufacturer's courses, provided that they'll send you, will be absolutely no concern, given your mechanical background. They're dirt simple and, shockingly, seldom require any testing of equipment.

I, too would recommend @rsingler's classes, to get your feet wet. Having seen excerpts, there's far more valuable information to be had, than through any course at DEMA.

The pay is crap; you already know that. I, too did the work for ulterior motives, years ago -- in my case, ready and free access to dive boats.

Just make sure that your ass is covered by the shop, in terms of any liability. Once a regulator is out of your hands, no matter how well it's overhauled, there's no telling who by and how it will be handled, or altered in any way . . .
I have a really good friend that works at Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro. In fact I just saw him last weekend and we dived together up at Albion.
Anyway, that is a very busy shop and at any given time he has dozens of regs to service. He seems pretty lax about it and never really stresses about OMG! How am I going to get all this crap done!!
He’s more like “yeah, whatever…”
He was telling me that USC brings in upwards of 40 regs sometimes, all MK25’s with the accompanying second stages. He said they never rinse them, take care of them, nothing. They’re beat to hell. You’d think they would be completely trashed and ready for the scrap bin but they all clean up. He throws a kit in them and they are good to go. Scubapro piston regs apparently are a little tougher than people think!
So if he’s doing that kind of volume then little Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa would be like kindergarten.

Good for you! It's usually the best job in a dive shop. I know a couple of owners who prefer to hide in back and service regs. I also know one who intentionally moved the reg repair to the front of the store so he could work on them himself while answering the phone and doing POS on the register. In my experience, tech instructors and repair techs are treated the best by shop owners.

The only advice is to just make sure you and the owner/mgt. are on the same page when it comes to what is expected of you and what you are willing to do.

He was telling me that USC brings in upwards of 40 regs sometimes, all MK25’s with the accompanying second stages. He said they never rinse them, take care of them, nothing. They’re beat to hell. You’d think they would be completely trashed and ready for the scrap bin but they all clean up. He throws a kit in them and they are good to go. Scubapro piston regs apparently are a little tougher than people think!
So if he’s doing that kind of volume then little Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa would be like kindergarten.
Funny -- we also did UCSC's equipment, about once a year or maybe two, and the number of regulators skyrocketed; but that was more an exception than anything else.

Seal’s Water Sports, just off the 101? Know it well; saved our tails, if we forgot anything -- and we generally did -- on the way to Mendocino . . .

Funny -- we also did UCSC's equipment, about once a year or maybe two, and the number of regulators skyrocketed; but that was more an exception than anything else.

Seal’s Water Sports, just off the 101? Know it well; saved our tails, if we forgot anything -- and we generally did -- on the way to Mendocino . . .
Yep, great people!
Since Sub Surface in Ft Bragg closed down you’d be surprised how many divers from up there, including the urchin guys, are coming in for stuff since they’re the closest dive shop around.

I learned to service regs (Scubapro Mk 5, 7, and 10, and Adjustable/109 and Balanced Adjustable/156) when I was a Teaching Assistant for my university's scuba course (in the late 1980's early 1990's). Free maintenance for the course for its regs (which were only ever used in the pool). Learning how was fun, and a welcome distraction from my graduate studies.

I began servicing my own Scubapro regs (including my G250) and Scubapro regs belonging to friends.

Eventually, servicing regs became more a necessary chore than "fun", and once I completed school, I very seldom serviced regs other than my own (mainly because I became more concerned about my liability exposure). I still service my own SP's, though.

I have only ever serviced one reg at a time. And I always take my time.

I think regulator servicing would not be a very profitable enterprise for me, and almost certainly would be drudgery, if I were to do it to feed myself or my fam.

One other thing: Before I purchased my new Poseidon Odins (ca. 1995), I was both taught how to service them, and sold the specialized service tools by my then LDS--conditions of the sale. Although I still have the tools, I have actually never serviced my Odins--because Odins are quite a bit more complicated than my SP's, and because servicing regs is no longer particularly "fun" (for me).

rx7diver

There are some good remarks above such as liability and obtaining tools. I personally chose not to skimp and purchased the proper or equivalent tools. It made life much easier when servicing.

I personally got a lot out of SP’s reg course and still do when I renew. Joining rslingler’s course will give you some insight on regs before taking a course and a point of contact for the unusual and rare problems that you will come across. If you can, work with the current tech before he leaves. There are nuances he can show you that course will not be able to pass on due to time restraints and the abilities of others in the class. Learning to service other brands will be helpful and it gives you more experience.

Develop some networking for contacts. I had a few people whom I could call that had years of experience and that proved very valuable. I gained a lot of insightful information from them over some long phone calls. I even made trips to their shops to learn more.

Don’t be afraid to ask customers questions about their regs and don’t make any major changes, upgrades, or repairs to their reg without contacting them first! At the same time, give them tips on how to maintain and how to use their reg; for example, the use of the venturi and inhalation knob. People love that kind of input.

Also, work on your or perhaps under the supervision under someone before servicing a customer’s reg. People don’t like hearing a newbie right out of training serviced their equipment. Telling them you service your own equipment gives them confidence in you.

Good luck!

... doing that kind of volume
Remember that diving is "seasonal". So you are slammed with 30 emergency fixes the week before lobster season. But when the waves are up to 8 footers in January, the work bench is zero, clean & empty. Because of COVID lock downs, ALOT of new diver's entered the sport (and bought boats). It's been a healthy 2022 for most dive shops selling lots of gear that will need annuals very soon. Register for the courses even if you don't go to work for the shop full time. It's a valuable side gig too.

I spent a few years as a reg tech at a busy shop and I really enjoyed it. I did it on a piece rate basis and made decent money once I became proficient/efficient at it. It is worth it to invest (either you or the shop) in specialty tools. Having the right tool makes the job easier, faster, and reduces the chance of damaging something.

Give it a try. I bet that you like it.

Jackie

Make sure you are covered under their liability insurance.

Have the factory certs for the regs you are going to work on.

Don't rush through a reg and at the same time, it doesn't take 3 weeks to service a reg.

Do an estimate of the charges and get that approved before starting the work!
I get a lot of service work from people pissed off at the shop they were using when they suddenly got a bill for double what they expected. People don't like surprises like that.

If you run into an issue that is going to cost the customer more money, stop, get the approval, then finish.

If you don't service that brand, don't let the shop accept it. Find another place that does and refer them.
I've gotten regs in that a shop said "Sure we can do that." Then they find out they couldn't get parts and in one case, put in parts from another brand that caused the reg to fail prematurely. Luckily no one got hurt. It was a PSD team and newly serviced regs wouldn't stop free flowing on the surface so it got set aside.

Don't let the shop dictate how long it should take you to do the work.

Back
Top Bottom