Prusik rope for reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepTrip

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I got problem finding braided nylon to be used for DIY Dive Reel. Is it possible to use 2.5mm prusik rope instead?

I will only use the reel with SMB or Lift bag. Is there any concern with rope strength, etc?

Thanks
Benny

DeepTrip:
Hi All,
I got problem finding braided nylon to be used for DIY Dive Reel. Is it possible to use 2.5mm prusik rope instead?

I will only use the reel with SMB or Lift bag. Is there any concern with rope strength, etc?

Thanks
Benny
If it's good enough for tying off to a mountain, then it should be good enough for a dive reel.

Having said that...

Prussik rope is made from a mantle over a core. I would be worried about what trapped salt could do to the core. I know when I was working alpine SAR we washed and inspected our ropes regularly because sand and dirt gets under the mantle and destroys the rope from the inside. If you use it in salt water, make sure you wash it well and inspect it regularly.

On the other hand, it's relatively expensive. I'd keep looking for braided nylon, maybe at http://www.westmarine.com/.

What would be the strongest replacement line available?

You can get all the braided nylon you want and in most any size you want from Memphis Net and Twine. I used to buy line from them for RC sailplane winches.
Check the site at;
http://gmocart.gmotion.com/store/me...fishing&Category_Code=twine_whitebraidedseine

I think most cave people are using size 36 but you can get bigger and smaller line. The higher number is a stronger twine but less fits in a given reel.
They sell in 1 pound units and in #36 that is about 500 feet and is good to a break strength of about 330 pounds.

Seabear70:
What would be the strongest replacement line available?

For the strongest you might want to choose kevlar. It is also cut resistant but expensive.

pipedope:
You can get all the braided nylon you want and in most any size you want from Memphis Net and Twine. I used to buy line from them for RC sailplane winches.
Check the site at;
http://gmocart.gmotion.com/store/me...fishing&Category_Code=twine_whitebraidedseine

I think most cave people are using size 36 but you can get bigger and smaller line. The higher number is a stronger twine but less fits in a given reel.
They sell in 1 pound units and in #36 that is about 500 feet and is good to a break strength of about 330 pounds.

The only problem with ordering line on the net is shipping cost. Yea, the line is cheap, but at Memphis Net and Twine they told me it will cost about $10.00-$12.00 dollars plus the cost of the twine to ship it to me in Florida.

I was trying to get a local fabric store to order it. I told them a lot of local divers would probably buy it, but they refused.

pipedope:
For the strongest you might want to choose kevlar. It is also cut resistant but expensive.

How much does a second chance cost?

3dent:
Prussik rope is made from a mantle over a core. I would be worried about what trapped salt could do to the core. I know when I was working alpine SAR we washed and inspected our ropes regularly because sand and dirt gets under the mantle and destroys the rope from the inside. If you use it in salt water, make sure you wash it well and inspect it regularly.

Thanks for mentioning the sands and trapped salt. But when you brought it underwater, does the salt suppose to be dissolved again?

The only logical reason for the sands to destroy the rope is, the sands add friction to the core when being used, which in turn destroy the core. If the salt is dissolved, there should be no more salt particle in the core, which add the friction to the core, right?

Benny

Edit: And could someone help to point me to braided nylon table, which list the number and related diameter?

DeepTrip:
Thanks for mentioning the sands and trapped salt. But when you brought it underwater, does the salt suppose to be dissolved again?

The only logical reason for the sands to destroy the rope is, the sands add friction to the core when being used, which in turn destroy the core. If the salt is dissolved, there should be no more salt particle in the core, which add the friction to the core, right?

True, the salt will redissolve, but could do a lot of damage when handled topside, or if handled on a dive before the salt redissolved. As I understand it, salt crystals have very ‘sharp’ edges.

With a woven rope it's much easier to inspect for damage than with a core/mantel type.

Let me add that I'm not a tech diver, just thought I'd give my perspective.

murphdivers286:
The only problem with ordering line on the net is shipping cost. Yea, the line is cheap, but at Memphis Net and Twine they told me it will cost about $10.00-$12.00 dollars plus the cost of the twine to ship it to me in Florida.

I wouldn't worry about a $12 freight charge...you could likely find this much in the couch cushions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom