Prusik rope for reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
True, the salt will redissolve, but could do a lot of damage when handled topside, or if handled on a dive before the salt redissolved. As I understand it, salt crystals have very ‘sharp’ edges.

With a woven rope it's much easier to inspect for damage than with a core/mantel type.

Let me add that I'm not a tech diver, just thought I'd give my perspective.

Well, I'm using the rope for attaching my console to my BC. I think I will see how long do they last before using them for reel. Thanks. for the help.

Benny

That's really not representative...

How much strain will you put that rope under?

Seabear70:
That's really not representative...

How much strain will you put that rope under?

Hmmm.... that's a good point. Probably a little load when I strain it to see the gauge.

It would prolly take a lifetime for salt crystals to degrade rope core enough to make a diff. I've break tested several samples of my own rope. Some of it was tree climbing and bull rope that had been severly overloaded and very dirty. The rest of it was rock/caving kernmantle construction rope that had gotten very dirty inside and out. None of the ropes lost more than 20-25% of original tensile at worst. I'd be more concerned about rope/cord getting cut than salt crystal wear.

Why use a kernmantle rope? It seems a little bit of overkill if you are using it for a SMB or lift bag. You would do fine with paracord, probably. It is cheaper, more available, strong enough to dangle in the air under, and easy to keep clean and dry. I use it on my SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom