PST Steel 100/ 3500PSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a PST hp100 that is labeled 3442 psi. I am looking at some doubles that appear to be Hp100s but they are labeled 3500 psi. Anyone know anything about these type of tanks?

Also, what size bands and manifolds would I need?

The newer exemption series "hp100s" have 3/4" valves and working pressures of 3442psi

The older made by PST only exemption hp100s have 7/8" valves and a working pressure of 3500psi. 7/8" is a visibly smaller opening than 3/4"

They take the same size (7.25" diameter) bands. You need a manifold with the proper size neck threads.

7/8" is a visibly smaller opening than 3/4"

From a "not in the know" reader.......Seriously? I am sure you see where I am getting tripped up :D.

The 3/4" and the 7/8" does not reffer to the size of the hole in the neck of the tank. It instead refers to the thread pitch/count. Hope that clears things up.

If you ever have to tumble a 7/8" necked tank, its a royal pita to get the media back out. 3/4" is MUCH easier to use and work with in addition to having much more readily available valves and manifolds. 7/8" UNF threaded tanks haven't been made in almost 8 years and these older valves are really getting expensive as well as hard to find. Burst disks are no problem they are the same (5250psi) and threaded alike.

I think Genesis was the last co. making a 7/8 manifold???
It's no long listed on their web site and Leisure Pro shows it as discontinued.
They show up on E-Bay
I just got a used 7/8 manifold on e-bay for $40 and the 2 plugs to convert them to singles for $16
Northeast Scuba Supply has one listed

Does anyone know if anyone makes a manifold for these tanks?

Thermo still makes them. At >$300 its stupid expensive honestly.
You have to buy a left modular, right modular and then the cross bar as this is the only way TDL seems to sell them. Maybe call TDL for a discount?
Modular Valves : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

It does have the benefit of having 90deg outlets. The genesis manifolds with 45deg outlets often create a bizarre spiderweb of bulging hoses.

Back
Top Bottom