Puerto Madryn, Argentina?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malcforrest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi folks,

we're a couple, instructors, travelling in Southern Argentina during November (not all the way south to Ushuaia) and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has been diving around Puerto Madryn in recent years, ops to use, sites to visit, whats worth doing, whats not.

Any info. will be appreciatted, cheers!

I am traveling at the end of August, when I return I´ll be able to give you some input

I am back from diving in Puerto Madryn, the prices are all the same in the different operators but from what I experienced there is a big difference between operators.
I went diving with SCUBA DUBA on my first day, big mistake, two tank dives turned out to be a one and a half tank dive, plus a 2 hour wait after diving in wetsuit (wet) in the door of the shop because the employee took off while we were in the water, and one of the guys on the boat said she had radio contact before taking off and knew thart nobody on the boat had the keys.

But then I was reffered to OCEAN DIVERS whose owner is Pablo Sanabra, this operator scores a perfect ten in every aspect that you could consider in a dive trip, I went diving with sea lions, out of this world.
So by personal experience I recommend OCEAN DIVERS its address is Bvd Brown, Balneario Yoaquina, tel 02965-472-569, it is near downtown Madryn on the waterfront. Its the best bet there.

Hi! I am traveling to Buenos Aires in February and planning to go down to Puerto Madryn. How much did it cost for a day excursion? Thank You!

I've been diving in Puerto Madryn last August.
Now December, we are entering summer time and temperatures are rising, buy water is still cold enough to need a dry suit for a 2 dive day several days. Water will not be higher that 14 degrees.
I've been diving with Abramar Buceo (ABRAMAR buceo - Puerto Madryn - Patagonia Argentina). They are in the waterfront, near the downtown.
The dive sites could be the following, at least what I'm aware of :
Folias wreck : is an old fishing ship that can be seen from the beach south of the city. It can be dived on high tide.
Albatros wreck : is a fishing ship sunk as an artificial reef. 22 m depth on low tide. The cargo hold can be penetrated.
Miralles wreck : is a war ship sunk as an artificial reef. 27 m depth.
Loberia Punta Loma : to dive with sea lions. shallow dive, lots of sea lions. Also available for snorkeling with sea lions.
Parque Piedras : it's a diving place used for photo contests. Nice little reef.
There are several other diving sites with small reefs.
Fishes can only be seen in the wrecks, as they are protected from the sea lions.
Prices are around US$ 80 per 2 tank day. If the excursion also involves diving with sea lions, the prices can rise up to US$ 170 per 2 tank day (as the dive operator has to pay several municipal taxes).
Visibility is pretty variable, though you cannot expect more that 6 meters is the very best day.
The picture in my avatar was taken in Punta Loma diving with sea lions last August.
If you cannot speak Spanish, it could be hard for you to understand the operators.

Back
Top Bottom