Puerto Rico diving - yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that there's a relatively serious problem with theft from luggage at the airport. Does anyone have comments in this regard?

In our three trips, and our luggage includes a large suitcase and two rolling duffels for our dive gear, we’ve never lost a thing. Of course we have TSA locks on them, too.

On our Culebra trip, we overnighted at the airport hotel and after repacking to meet the weight requirement for the puddle jumper, left our bags with the hotel front desk (for free). When we got back they were returned to us intact.

We actually flew to and from Culebra from the municipal airport (it was way cheaper than flying out of the main airport) and didn’t have any issues or concerns about theft there, either.

I've heard that there's a relatively serious problem with theft from luggage at the airport. Does anyone have comments in this regard?

Don't recall a problem the first time we went. The second time (end of January as the Covid-19 was just making the news) my wife and I traveled with just one big suitcase each as we were doing a cruise. Both suitcases were checked by TSA - I would describe mine more as tossed but we had everything.

Diving in Puerto Rico is an old 2014 thread with some good info. Here's a 2016 shorter thread - Puerto Rico recommendations that might help.

I've only done 2 dives there, on our honeymoon in 2006. Visited a few times on cruises; enjoyed a bus tour to El Yunque Rainforest. Lush and pretty.

Puerto Rico is a large island compared to many in the Caribbean, a popular cruise point, and thus has substantial topside offerings. What I've read of the diving (including figuring out topside logistics) hasn't captivated me, but if I were looking for a broader Caribbean vacation with some diving in it, I'd consider it.

I've spent all of a day in PR on a long layover so didn't dive there. But my sense about diving there has always been that it's size is part of what makes it hard for it to be any sort of dive destination. It sounds like there is some good diving to be had, but it's all far away from the main airport and major tourist areas, and not even that close to the "mainland"/good places to stay/port. Inconvenient and no area with a critical mass of dive infrastructure or divers. Whatever is there, not well marketed. At best, there may be a chicken and egg problem.

No reason to dive the biobay. You can see bioluminescence on just about any dive anywhere at night. Helps if you turn your light off and if there's no moon.
Seconded.

I saw lots of bioluminescence this way both in Key Largo and Cozumel.

That said, the photos I've seen of that bay in PR look like they have several orders of magnitude more bioluminescent critters.

Setting aside my opinion that the diving is disappointing in Puerto Rico, remember the island was struck by Hurricanes Irma & Maria and 11 or so earthquakes since 2019. The infrastructure is in poor condition and the rebuilding efforts have been largely ignored by the U.S. government. Whatever reef is left from the hurricanes and earthquakes will likely be obliterated.

We have considered "snowbirding" there for a month or two in the past. An attraction for me would be renting a car and touring the whole island, while also searching for (obscure?) shore diving sites. I don't think there are any marine protected areas or laws against shell collecting, as well as no customs to deal with returning to mainland US-- all a positive. But with Covid and other things, such a trip may never occur. I was there snorkeling in 1966 (Santurce) at age 11-12 and stupidly grabbed a white urchin with sharp spines.....

I would not go there for a diving destination, but if you’d like to do some diving while there, it’s a nice spot.

Desecheo is a nice colourful dive.

Culebra and Fajardo were ‘meh’

La Parguera was ok. Deeper with a large wall.

_R

I got certified when I lived there from 2001-2003.

I’ve been back several times because I love the island and made good friends there—sadly many of them moved stateside after the devastation wrought by hurricanes and politicians.

Diving isn’t high on my list of reasons to return. It’s about three notches below eating empanadillas and drinking pina coladas while watching winter league baseball.

Back
Top Bottom