Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Never been there, how do you get around? Rent a car? I'd like to dive Mona island, would I need to stay in a more populated area and drive to the site? Any places I should avoid staying? I emailed a dive shop there, too.

Thanks!

Have only been diving east coast out of Fajardo and it was nothing special. Didn't get as far out as Calebra Island. The DM of the op (Sea Ventures) we dove with said there was good diving on the Southeast side of island, which is where we stayed, but there weren't enough people during the week for them to go out from there (although they advertised that they did) and there was no other op in the area (we stayed right by the marina.) Have read here on SB that there is good diving on the Southwest coast in La Parguera area.

Have only read about Mona Island and that there is not a day trip from the main island since it is like a 6 hour boat ride. Not sure if there are flights. Would have to plan a side trip there and stay a night or two.

Puerto Rico is a great place, IMO: tropical beaches/weather, great food, sightseeing, and pretty easy driving once you get out of San Juan. In San Juan to about 15 miles outside the city, morning and evening rush hours are crazy! We stayed in Palmas del Mar in Humacao and driving to other small towns was pretty easy. We stayed mainly on the east side of island as it is a couple of hours drive to the west side.

You're on the right track though if you're emailing dive ops. Hopefully they can be helpful with more info.

I am a fan of PR as a place, but the diving there is decidedly mediocre in my opinion (unless you like cave diving and are ready to travel all the way out west).

Turns out, Mona is like 40 miles out, looks like half way to Dominican Republic.Desecheo is 15 miles and I found a shop that goes there.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't think anyone "stays" on Mona unless you're a researcher or camping by permit.
These people can help with some of that.Adventures Tourmarine Charters

Juliet out of Florida goes once a year from Mayaguez PR - next trip is March2017.
Mona Island Diving

Was not suggesting staying on Mona, just going there to dive. Not considering anymore.

Where to stay was separate.

Did a little quick searching to turn up some threads on diving Puerto Rico.

This Diving in Puerto Rico thread from 2014 had some good discussion of places to dive, and the dive industry state on the island. Basically, at least back then, you didn't have a near 'turn key' dive resort option like Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire.

Also see the later, shorter thread, Puerto Rico recommendations.

Turns out it's possible to hit Puerto Rico by live-aboard. If you're an Undercurrent subscriber, they had a review, Taino Diver; MV Juliet; Puerto Rico (by land and by live-aboard).

Richard.

We're quoted in a couple of the links posted above, but if you need anything more specific, please feel free to PM me.

I live on a neighboring island and love going to Puerto Rico. As far as diving, I haven't dragged my gear over there to give it a try. Several of my buddies who have gone said it's not worth going since there are so many other islands with better diving. As far as a beautiful place with great food, coffee and culture, you can't go wrong with PR.

Hello all,

I would like to dive PR. I was told that the US NAVY trains there. I was told that there are great wrecks there. I was told that the Navy divers liked PR so much they retired there and opened dive shops. I have not heard this anywhere else and can't verify this info.

looking at this tread it seems there is not much known about PR. other then the great food. how can I find out more about PR diving and if it is worth a dive trip. I guess I could do a vacation there and only dive 2-3 days and not see it as a dive trip.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom