Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, am interested in diving in PR; looking at Vieques, but open to any good recommendations there. Thank you to anyone who wants to reflect on their experiences there. I'm not looking for all-inclusive resorts. I prefer areas with more of a local atmosphere rather than high end resorts overrun with moneyed visitors. Thanks.

Just got back a couple of weeks ago and started on the west coast. The only dive shop that I found that even went to an island only went to Desecheo, about 15 mi out. No fish although I did see a flying gurnard and tried to video only to find out later that my SIM card was full. :-( Extremely disappointing with poor visibility, didn't look anything like the Caribbean water I'm used it. Went on a snorkel trip on the east coast and didn't see any fish. Lots of other things went wrong on the trip but I would never recommend for diving.

And by the way, don't go driving the countryside... half the roads on west coast weren't numbered (no signs) and the other half we saw weren't on the map. Vegetation goes up to the shore (mangroves) so few beaches so not much shore diving.

We've been to PR to dive twice, most recently a couple of years ago.

First time we went, we stayed in Rincon and dove Desecheo twice, and then drove down to La Parguera to dive the wall. On our two Desecheo dives, first day we did the more popular Southwest side, which was okay, but agree that the fish populations could have been bigger. Second day, we dove the less visited Northeast side, where the terrain is considerably different (large boulders, a few more fish, and a couple of unexploded bombs). Then we drove down to La Parguera and dove the wall, and it was simply spectacular. Lots of fish and great visibility.

When we went back recently, we stayed in Playa Santa and dove the walls there. Did three days total, and that was even more spectacular than the wall directly off La Parguera. Great drop offs, healthy coral and fish populations, and sharks and Morays that had obviously been fed Lionfish. I have to admit that Playa Santa, as a town, left a little to be desired, in terms of variety of eateries and alternate entertainment, but I would put those walls up to anything I've dived, including Cozumel.

Thanks, ibj40- that's helpful! I haven't seen too many positive reports on PR. What months did you go?

Thanks, ibj40- that's helpful! I haven't seen too many positive reports on PR. What months did you go?

Both trips were in the May/June timeframe, most recent was 2015.

Thanks for your info about PR. it seems that no one has "great" stuff to say about it. it seems it's a place to vacation and if available get in a dive or two but not a dive destination

Thanks for your info about PR. it seems that no one has "great" stuff to say about it. it seems it's a place to vacation and if available get in a dive or two but not a dive destination

It's probably valid that if you go there, you really want to dive to do it. We love Old San Juan, and spend almost as much time there as we did on our dive days. I have to admit, however, that we have not dived PR other than the more westerly side, so if there are better areas closer in to Old San Juan, maybe on the east or north sides, we haven't dived it.

San Juan is not really a premier diving destination on any level, but it is a cool place to go for a vacation - old San Juan is great, as are the rain forest and horse ranches. If you have a dive itch which you really need to scratch, think about hopping on a 20 minute flight to either Vieques or the USVI next door and you'll see much nicer stuff.

Thought I posted this already but guess not. I got back on the 15th and I was terribly disappointed. As I mentioned before, the only dive shop I found on the west coast that went to any islands was Taino and they went to Desecheo. The water was not Caribbean water and visibility not that great. Went on two tank dive trip to Desecheo and was surprised at how few fish there were. On second tank dive on the way back to the boat, I saw a Flying Gurnard which was pretty cool and thought I'd video-ed it only to find out later that my SIM card was full so I got nothing. Divemaster told me people wait years to see one of those, dunno, but I know I'd never seen one before

Diving was very disappointing.

Left west coast early (lost money on room) and went to east coast. Went on snorkel excursion with wife and same conditions although the water was a little better. Still no fish. Coral a little better on east side but still disappointing. I'm used to Bonaire most recently so maybe it's all relative.

Also, be prepared if you plan on exploring the countryside, at least on the west coast. Half the roads have no markers (names or numbers) and the other half aren't on the map. :)

I have dove Puerto Rico for the past 10 or so years between Christmas and New Years and have enjoyed it immensely. I usually dive out of La Parguera, about one hour west of Ponce. There is a wall about 25 minutes off the coast that is absolutely fantastic. I dove mostly with West Divers, a few times with Parguera Divers (which is now closed), once with Paradise Scuba & Snorkling, and once with San Juan Divers (out of Guanica nearby). Our divemaster at West Divers goes by Bam Bam and he's always done a great job. The wall is absolutely beautiful. I have also gone out of Fajardo twice and would agree that the diving is hit or miss in terms of water clarity, but Seaventures is a great dive shop.

In terms of driving around the island, you can get maps at the tourist shops in San Juan (at least in the Condado area). They can be a bit hard to find but I did buy one myself a couple of years ago when my old map fell apart. Yes, some signs are missing from time to time. I guess I don't think about it because I know the area enough to find my way around. Taino Divers out of Rincon does Desecheo Island which is about an hour away. Mona Island is several hours away. I don't know who if anyone goes there any more.

I've posted on La Parguera several times in the past. Here's one:

Trip Report/La Parguera, Puerto Rico/December 27-30, 2014

Go to PR and go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom