Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

February 15th
2nd dive off Mismaloya 45 ft similar sightings to Las Colomitas, water temp a little warmer here since the dive wasn't as deep.

February 17
We dove 2 sites at Los Arcos with about 2 foot chop and a good surge coming through on regular wave sets. Pretty dramatic around the big rocks. 1st dive was to 97 feet down a wall and the water temperature went from 72 at the surface to 59 at 97 feet...brrr. Huge 8 inch silver fish bait ball, couldn't tell the species. 2 smaller eels yellow, black, white Miro markings, lots of Morays 6 footer out swimming amongst us. 2nd dive to 57 feet swim throughs largely sandy bottom. Highlight was a huge yellow Puffer fish that Alex said can change colors. Also saw a turtle, eagle spotted ray and lots of little Gobies. Visibility 20-30 feet and surge could swing 10 feet. We just made like reef fish and went with the flow.

February 26th.

1st dive today at Majahuitas and 2nd at Los Arcos' south wall.

Great viz below 70 feet, some 70+ at Majahuitas and 40+ at Los Arcos. Not so good viz at shallower depths. Surface temperature 75F and min temp 59F at Majahuitas and 64F at Los Arcos.

Today was moray eel day. Saw several HUGE Jewel Morays. Mean-looking critters, yet tame as puppies. Also saw some Popeye Catalufas. Interesting fish! First-time sightings for me.

we'll keep you updated...

I did 3 days of diving with Alex and his crew at PV Scuba , it was a blast. This was my first real experience with saltwater and it was a lot of fun. I did my first day at Los Arcos, saw a nice variety of sea life. Saw a few smaller rays, a turtle, a few octopuses, spiny urchins it was great. The surface traffic at Los Arcos is a bunch of snorkelers and sight seers. On the way back Ramses (Divemaster) and I worked on my Spanish, which was terribly rusty.

Day Two: My brother-in-law, Jon, took a Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) course with PV Scuba, we dove Colomitos. Ramses took great effort to make sure that the DSD dive was worthwhile dive for Jon and myself. The dive at Colomitos is a sandy bottom which was much more forgiving for a newbie. Jon spotted a Scorpion fish, which I had missed. Through PV Scuba's effort to make diving fun, Jon is looking into getting certified, when the ice leaves the lakes up here.

Day Three: Mahajutas, good dive, the vis was a bit tight so we made the best of it and scoped out the local Puffer fish population. For dive two we ventured back to Los Arcos on a quest for better vis. We found it, and made our way around the big rock, the surge took me a bit to get used to but once I nailed the timing it made for a good dive.

Recap: Overall great operation. Friendly staff, Nice boat, Plenty of gear. Ramses was a fun Divemaster that made the trip fun on the boat as well. Moses, great captain, even though his English vocabulary is still growing, he makes an honest effort to keep you informed. I was staying at a Hotel all of a block from their outfit so it made for a nice morning walk. If you plan on visiting Puerto Vallarta, look them up.

Puerto Vallarta Scuba Diving and Specialty Diving School: PVSCUBA

--Brad from Rochester, MN

March 4th,

Great diving today at Los Arcos. First dive was at "Devil's Canyon" for the advanced divers and at the "fishbowl" for the beginners. Second dive at "Shallows of Christ" (that's right, first the devil and then Christ, never the other way around, haha)

Today's thermocline was at about 35 ft. Temperature 75F at the surface and 68F at the thermocline. Temperature dropped to about 60F at around 70 ft.

Visibility about 30 feet near the surface, increasing to 60+ below the thermocline.

Out and about today where large schools of Balloonfish, Snappers, and Surgeonfish, plus the usual array of tropical fish that we normally see.

until next time....

Alex,

I'll be in Puerto Vallarta next week on Wednesday. Are you guys going to Marietas? How is the visibility?

I really don't want to fight the currents of El Morro, but don't like the crowds at Los Arcos.

What's your recommendation for next week?

Hi Jeff,
We've been scheduling mostly the dive sites at the south of the bay, the reason being that its a very windy time of the year which makes for a less comfortable ride when heading northwest. The south part of the bay has had good conditions and nice viz below the thermocline.
There are lots of uncrowded locations to choose from: Mismaloya, Colomitos, Colimilla, Pizota, Chimo, Caletilla, etc
If you must, however, go to Marietas, we'll look to fit it in our schedule.
cheers
Alex from PVScuba

March 6th

Today we dived at Majahuitas on dive 1 and Caletilla on dive 2.

Thermocline was at about 30 feet. Below it viz was nice, some 60 ft, and water temp around 60F / 16C

Saw lots of stingrays and stone scorpionfish today.

Had fun diving today with a great bunch of divers from Canada and the US. From left to right: Dave, Kerry, Ramses (instructor), Leah, Deanna, and Alex (oops! behind the camera, haha)

attachment.php

we'll keep you updated...

Alex from PVScuba

Attachments

• clientesMajahuas06Mar08.jpg
    clientesMajahuas06Mar08.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 481
Hey Alex,
My wife and me will be coming down the first week of April.
She is fairly new certified diving, she has been several times at all inclusive resorts.
We only plan on diving one day. With possibly a night dive if they are available(and I can talk her into it. She really wants to see manta rays and I'm just happy with someplace warm. Can you recommend one of the dive sites?

Alex,

I'm planning a dive trip to Puerto Vallarta the Week of April 21st. I'm relatively new to diving (only 11 dives, including the five for my advanced scuba certification), but would love to experience some of the larger animals. Are there any spots other than el Morro, where a newbie such as myself can do this or are all the pelagic spots for people with 50+ dives? Also, can you tell me what I can expect in terms of conditions and marine life during that time of year? Thank you.

Michelle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom