Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex is correct,

I have been teaching experienced divers a bit these past few days with very challenging conditions both north and south of the bay, and yesterday was time for 2 scooter fun dives with divebuddy Natalia. At Majahuitas and los Arcos the first 12 to 15 feet were 74 F, and then we had chilly 63 F water down to 100 feet.

Just a few days ago the water in Bahia de Banderas was 85 F . Suddenly these past 5 or 6 days everything changed.

0.5 mm wetsuit to drysuit in no time !!

I hope it doesn't last too long ! Water temp should not vary too much until Dec or so.

Don't be caught offguard with thermal protection as some of the students did !

Happy diving.

Thanks!

(no thanks button)

Just came back from a weekend in Puerto Vallarta, conditions were not the best, but it was still diveable. found temperatures as low as 60° F (15.5 ° C), and in average, bad viz, but some parts of the dives had about 20 ft viz and warm temp (at least after the thermoclines), saw some critters and small fish, but not large animals. First time diving with PVScuba, and looking forward to dive again with them in better conditions. Greetings to Paco (DM), Moy(Captain) and Alex(Owner), who turned an otherwise bad dive trip into an enjoyable experience.

Thanks!

(no thanks button)
Hey Jax , you should come diving one day. I am not always in Vallarta but its is just a matter of getting organized.

Do you take UW photos ??

Last weekend, conditions were very cold and bad viz, I recommend minimun a 5mm wetswit, Marietas was around 66F Chimo and los Arcos 60F. Seems like winter will be early this year, let's hope the whales arrive soon.

I want to thank our DM Paco Cap. Moy and Alex, very professionals and friendly as always.

Hey Jax , you should come diving one day. I am not always in Vallarta but its is just a matter of getting organized.

Do you take UW photos ??

I do! We were planning on PV in 2011, then we got a gonga deal on Bonaire, so we're pushing off PV maybe another year.

I do! We were planning on PV in 2011, then we got a gonga deal on Bonaire, so we're pushing off PV maybe another year.

Good, dont forget to let me know.

Very nice new avatar !!

I think I am going to have to change mine soon too.

According to instructor Danny from Vallarta Undersea the conditions yesterday at Majahuitas and Arcos were similiar to the past days.

Better viz water under the 20 to 25 foot thermocline with a temperature of 62 to 64 F. Surface temperature of 73 to 76.

There was another boat from Vallarta Undersea headed out to el Morro yesterday and one more to Marietas, hope to get a report today.

The ocean looked fairly calm at the beach in Lindomar as I had something to drink there around sunset time.

Dont forget to wear a hood and a thick suit these days. The cold water critters and habitats should start to multiply their numbers if it stays like this.

Good diving this long weekend !

Sounds like time for a drysuit. Or at least a 7mm.

Is anyone diving sidemount down there?

Sounds like time for a drysuit. Or at least a 7mm.

Is anyone diving sidemount down there?

Backmount alu 80 din or yoke doubles with 32 % available a Vallarta Undersea with prior notice contact a Adolfo. Dry suit or 7 mm is a good idea right now.

Very nice 100 % sunny weather, even a bit cool in the morning.

20 foot viz and 72 F degree water from 0 to 30 feet of depth.

50 to 60 feet viz and 62 F water from there to 100 feet of depth.

Moderate surge

Saw the first chinese hat nudies (Tylodina fungina) on the yellow sponge colonies they feed on, good abundance of fish at the 70 foot rock at Los Arcos and the moorings of course, also Bajo del Cristo.

The highlight was my first humpback whale of the season coming out for a breath just 50 feet away from where we surfaced on the last dive along the wall of the big arch. So cool to see them again !! I am getting ready for diving with them in the Revillagigedos (AKA socorros) this coming January.

Attachments

• IMG_9590.jpg
    IMG_9590.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom